Kenya’s Jepkosgei eyes another Olympic medal in LondonMay 4th, 2012 - 9:09 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi, May 4 (IANS) Olympic women’s 800m silver medallist Janeth Jepkosgei is keen to prove that there is still life in the old war horse as she prepares for her biggest battle in London.
Since announcing her arrival on the women two-lap scene with a crushing victory over Mozambican legend Maria Mutola at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, Jepkosgei has evolved to be a podium constant in the face of stiff competition.
“I want to do my best and I know it’s going to be a tough race for me but I would like to be on the podium once more,” the runner credited with 14 IAAF recognized medals in a career spanning over a decade stated after a training session at the Chepkoilel Campus training ground in Eldoret.
After following up her Commonwealth golden run with gold at the Osaka Worlds, Jepkosgei has had to contend with a slew of emerging talent notably, compatriot Pamela Jelimo, South Africa’s Caster Semenya and Russia’s Mariya Savinova who have denied her the top medal at the Beijing Olympics as well as Berlin and Daegu Worlds.
“Many people are beginning to understand women 800m. Before, especially us Kenyans, we thought that no one could do it but once you have decided to train for it, one can make it and many have begun understanding this,” Jepkosgei attributes the recent surge of quality female two-lap runners.
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Savinova wins gold in women's 800 metres - Aug 12, 2012
- Kenya's runner Jelimo blames tactics for poor show in London - Aug 16, 2012
- Kenya eyes seven golds at London Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Tintu Luka fails to qualify for 800m final - Aug 10, 2012
- Savinova tops in Diamond League 800m - Aug 27, 2012
- Caster Semenya plans to make 1,500m bid in 2012 Olympics - Feb 22, 2011
- Rivals 'stared and laughed at' Proteas' Semenya, claims UK athlete - Jul 23, 2010
- Kenya's Jelimo seeks Olympic glory after return from injury - Mar 14, 2012
- Caster Semenya a woman? Prove it - Aug 20, 2009
- Olympics: Tintu Luka finishes sixth in 800m semis (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Caster Semenya to take part in Commonwealth Games - Aug 23, 2010
- Farah, Savinova named European Athlete Of The Year - Oct 06, 2011
- Back injury forces world champ Semenya to pull out of Delhi Commonwealth Games - Sep 29, 2010
- Caster Semenya planning a return to the track - Jan 15, 2010
- Powell edged out but Walker posts world-leading time - May 12, 2012
Tags: 800m, beijing olympics, caster, compatriot, daegu, eldoret, emerging talent, iaaf, lap runners, maria mutola, mariya, melbourne commonwealth games, nairobi, olympic medal, olympic women, silver medallist, slew, stiff competition, training session, war horse