Kenyan athletes sweep top three positions at Mumbai Marathon (Lead)January 18th, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 18 (IANS) Kenyan runners swept all the three positions in the men’s open section at the Sixth Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon here Sunday.Kenneth Mugara emerged champion with a new course record of two hours 11 minutes and 51 seconds, ahead of compatriots David Tarus (two hours 12 minutes and two seconds) and two time winner John Kelai (two hours 12 minutes and 23 seconds). India’s Ram Singh stood fourth in the 42-km marathon.
The previous record of two hours 12 minutes and three seconds was set by Kenyan Daniel Rono in 2006.
Mugara bagged $31,000 while Tarus and Kelai were richer by $20,500 and $13,000 respectively. Singh won $10,000.
In the 21-km Half Marathon category, India’s Surinder Singh emerged first in the men’s section while Kavita Raut bagged the top honour in the women’s category.
The race started amidst tight ground and air security cover provided by three helicopters, from the Mahapalika Marg, adjacent to the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST), one of the sites targeted by the terrorists in the Nov 26 attacks.
It wound its way up to Bandra’s Swami Vivekanand Road, and from there returned to CST by the same route.
About 150 elite foreign athletes, including 52 women, took part in the full marathon that attracted 2,500 entrants.
The event was held under the aegis of the Athletics Federation of India with technical coordination by Maharashtra Athletic Association.
- Ethiopians rule at Mumbai marathon (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Mumbai Marathon: Kenya's Moiben, Ethiopia's Abeyo win (Second Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Mumbai Marathon: Kenya's Moiben, Ethiopia's Abeyo win (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Marathon lends colour, star power to Mumbai streets (Third Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Kenyans dominate CWG marathon - Oct 14, 2010
- Kenyan one-two in Madrid Marathon - Apr 23, 2012
- Kenya's Njoroge wins Buenos Aires marathon - Oct 10, 2011
- Kenyan Mugara wins Mumbai Marathon - Jan 18, 2009
- Mexico City marathon attracts 18,000 runners - Aug 22, 2012
- Chandigarh marathon sees 113-year-old runner - Mar 13, 2011
- Tsegay favourite to win Delhi Half Marathon - Sep 10, 2012
- Mumbai readies to kick off Marathon-2012 Sunday - Jan 14, 2012
- Kenyans dominate Nagpur marathon - Jan 30, 2011
- Kenyan runners win Belgrade international marathon - Apr 23, 2012
- The Taj is a hit with foreign athletes - Oct 17, 2010
Tags: aegis, air security, champion, chhatrapati shivaji terminus, compatriots, half marathon, helicopters, honour, India, kavita, kenyan athletes, kenyan runners, ram singh, raut, rono, surinder singh, swami, technical coordination, terrorists, time winner