Kellogg dumps Michael Phelps over marijuana episodeFebruary 6th, 2009 - 1:41 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 06 (ANI): Kellogg, the food company, has announced that it would not renew its contract with swimming sensation Michael Phelps when their deal expires at the end of February because of a photo that showed him apparently smoking a marijuana pipe.
“We originally built the relationship with Michael, as well as the other Olympic athletes, to support our association with the U.S. Olympic team,” People quoted a company spokeswoman, as saying in a statement.
“Michael’’s most recent behavior is not consistent with the image of Kellogg. His contract expires at the end of February and we have made a decision not to extend his contract,” she added.
Phelps has also been suspended from competition and denied financial support for three months by USA Swimming, the sport’’s national governing body.
The 23-year-old all-time Olympic swimming champ had also apologised for his inappropriate conduct.
His rep said that the swimmer “accepts these decisions and understands their point of view.”
“He feels bad he let anyone down. He’’s also encouraged by the thousands of comments he’’s received from his fans and the support from his many sponsors. He intends to work hard to regain everyone’’s trust,” the rep said. (ANI)
- Phelps "messed up" with pot, says Olympic teammate - Feb 20, 2009
- Fans defend Phelps after marijuana scandal - Feb 07, 2009
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011
- Phelps suspended from swimming, loses Kellogg contract - Feb 06, 2009
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Eight arrested in Michael Phelps pot puffing scandal - Feb 11, 2009
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Le Clos sends out warning to Phelps - Aug 02, 2012
- Can Olympic champion Phelps continue where he left off? - Jul 22, 2009
- Swimming Australia plans to lure Phelps for Thorpe showdown - Apr 03, 2011
- Lochte overtakes Phelps for gold in World Swimming Championships - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: champ, company spokeswoman, decisions, food company, inappropriate conduct, kellogg, marijuana pipe, michael phelps, national governing body, olympic athletes, olympic swimming, olympic team, photo, point of view, relationship, sensation, swimmer, three months