Kazakhstan’s Vinokourov wins gold in Olympic road raceJuly 28th, 2012 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Kazakhstan’s Alexandre Vinkourov was the surprise winner of the Olympic road race Saturday, as Britain’s highly-rated team failed to make an impression.
Vinokourov, 38, was competing at his fifth Olympics and the win was his second Olympic medal after his silver in Sydney in 2000.
The veteran rider, who was banned from 2007 until 2009 for doping, suffered a serious crash last year that put his career in jeopardy, but announced he would race for one more season in order to compete in London.
Rigoberto Uran took silver for Colombia as he and Vinokourov charged ahead of a breakaway group and had the stamina to stay clear until the finish on the Mall near Buckingham Palace.
Norway’s Alexander Kristoff out-sprinted the rest of the breakaway group for bronze.
A group of more than 20 riders broke away from the peloton early in the race and kept their advantage until the end.
Britain’s team, boasting sprinter Mark Cavendish and Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins, stayed in the peloton and tried to speed it up to catch the breakaway, but failed, in part due to little cooperation from rival teams.
Switzerland’s Fabian Cancellara had been tipped as a possible contender for the win, but suffered a hefty crash with around 20 kilometres remaining and finished with his arm covered in blood.
- Sagan wins again as crashes hit Tour de France - Jul 05, 2012
- Olympics: Dutch cyclist Voss wins women's road race - Jul 29, 2012
- Sagan makes it three stage wins on Tour - Jul 07, 2012
- Wiggins wins time trial to become Britain's top Olympian - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Norway's Larsen takes Kayak sprint gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Armstrong takes Olympic time trial gold for US - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Germany take women's sprint gold after China demoted - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Van Rijsselberge surfs to sailing Gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Strombergs retains BMX gold medal - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic equestrian: Britain gallops to gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Antyukh storms to 400m hurdles gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Russian Olympic winners to get state awards - Aug 15, 2012
- Australia glide to gold in men's 470 sailing - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Lashmanova wins walk in record time - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Czech Knapkova glides to rowing gold - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: breakaway group, buckingham palace, cavendish, contender, fabian cancellara, fifth olympics, jeopardy, kristoff, olympic medal, olympic road race, peloton, ria novosti, rigoberto uran, rival teams, stamina, surprise winner, tour de france, veteran rider, vinokourov, wiggins