Katich suffers achilles tendon injury, forcing him out of Ashes seriesDecember 7th, 2010 - 3:16 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Dec 7 (ANI): Australia’s opening batsman Simon Katich suffered an achilles tendon injury during Australia’s crushing second Test loss to England in Adelaide.
Katich has been ruled out of the remainder of the Ashes series and at the age of 35 he realises his battle to win back his Test spot.
“Three years ago, I was told I wasn’t going to play again. So this to me, I don’t know how it will be viewed - I haven’t spoken to selectors so I don’t know what their thoughts are,” he said on Tuesday, referring to 2007 when his national contract wasn’t renewed.
“Obviously my age will be a factor but I haven’t looked at it like that in the last few years because the last two and a half years of my career have been my best regardless of my age,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Katich, as saying.
“So I don’t see that as being the be-all and end-all of whether I make it back or not. There’s obviously a lot of factors but I will do everything I can to try and play Test cricket again,” he said.
Katich’s achilles injury flared in the Ashes opener in Brisbane, but he was adamant over his fitness to play the Adelaide Test.
“I went into this Test feeling fine but unfortunately having spent that amount of time out in the field and chasing the balls that I did, it got to the point where it was pretty unbearable to just even be walking around,” he said.
Australian captain Ricky Ponting said Katich’s injury was a “big loss”.
“He has been one of the leading openers in international cricket, certainly in Test cricket, since he forced his way back into the team. His record I’m sure would stack up against most other opening batsmen around the world,” Ponting said. (ANI)
- Katich rules himself out of fifth Ashes Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Injured Katich doubtful for third Ashes Test in Perth - Dec 06, 2010
- Katich hopes to recover in time for fifth Ashes Test in Sydney - Dec 22, 2010
- Katich trains hard in bid to return for fifth Ashes Test in Sydney - Dec 29, 2010
- Ponting promises to review his Test future, says still has lot to offer - Dec 29, 2010
- Never called up selector: Katich - Dec 18, 2011
- Katich's summer double celebration -- kid plus the Ashes - Jul 27, 2010
- Katich keen to regain Oz Test spot - Feb 23, 2011
- Ponting to review future with Australian cricket - Dec 29, 2010
- Oz greats ask CA to come out with master plan for post-Ponting era - Jan 30, 2011
- Won't be retiring at the end of this Test: Ponting - Jan 24, 2012
- Bell thanks India for recalling him in Trent Bridge Test - Oct 19, 2011
- Former players back Katich; why sack only him, asks Warne - Jun 09, 2011
- Ponting retires from ODIs, vows to carry on in Tests (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Oz selectors will need to decide on Katich, Hussey's future in national squad - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: achilles injury, achilles tendon, achilles tendon injury, adelaide, amount of time, australian captain, balls, brisbane, captain ricky ponting, international cricket, morning herald, national contract, remainder, ricky, second test, selectors, simon katich, sydney morning herald, test cricket, two and a half years