Katich keen to regain Oz Test spotFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Feb.23 (ANI): New South Wales opener and captain Simon Katich’s hunger to wear the baggy green remains as strong as ever, as he starts his campaign today to convince national selectors he should not be a casualty in the rebuilding of Australia’s Test side.
The 35-year-old will make his comeback to state cricket ahead of schedule when he leads NSW in its do-or-die one-day cup match against Victoria at the MCG, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
Katich was expected to be out for three to four months after injuring his Achilles tendon during the second Ashes Test in Adelaide in early December, but has responded well to an increased workload in the past fortnight.
His early return will give him three shield matches to show selectors why he should tip out Phillip Hughes at the top of the order for Australia’s next Test series, against Sri Lanka later this year.
‘My last two or three years of Test cricket have been the best of my career,’ said Katich, who has averaged 50.48 in 33 matches since his Test recall in the Caribbean in 2008.
He added: ‘I know I’m old, but at the same time I also think that I’ve got plenty to offer, and I’ve been out there and performed consistently.’ (ANI)
- Katich rules himself out of fifth Ashes Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Katich resigns to his fate, says Cowan worthy successor - Dec 26, 2011
- Katich suffers achilles tendon injury, forcing him out of Ashes series - Dec 07, 2010
- Katich slams CA, denies Clarke's hand in sacking - Jun 10, 2011
- Katich has no regrets about his comments on Clarke - Dec 06, 2011
- Katich trains hard in bid to return for fifth Ashes Test in Sydney - Dec 29, 2010
- Hilditch dismisses suggestions over Katich not playing first Ashes Test - Nov 10, 2010
- Spat with Clarke resulted in my axe, says Katich - Oct 28, 2011
- Katich in top nick at SCG nets - Jul 20, 2011
- Injured Katich doubtful for third Ashes Test in Perth - Dec 06, 2010
- Katich hopes to recover in time for fifth Ashes Test in Sydney - Dec 22, 2010
- Warner will thrive under heavy workload - Jan 19, 2012
- Beer in, North, Bollinger and Doherty axed from Oz squad - Dec 10, 2010
- Clarke not averse to recalling Katich in Australian team - Dec 16, 2011
- North cements hopes of Ashes berth with unbeaten 94 against Victoria - Oct 24, 2010
Tags: achilles tendon, adelaide, baggy green, casualty, fortnight, four months, hunger, match, mcg, morning herald, national selectors, new south wales, second ashes test, simon katich, sydney morning herald, test cricket, test series, test side, victoria, workload