Kareem Abdul Jabbar: The man who invented ’sky-hook’June 5th, 2009 - 1:50 am ICT by GD
Kareem Abdul Jabbar was not the man to coin the term, ’sky-hook’, but he was certainly the player to popularize this basketball shot which cannot be blocked. He later made this shot famous throughout his long career with the Los Angeles Lakers and Milwaukee Bucks.
Kareem Abdul Jabbar, who is presently a special assistant with the Lakers, trademarked “sky hook” more than a decade ago and interestingly, this fact became publicly known only just recently.
Turning back the pages of history of the game, one will come across the name Eddie Doucette, a former broadcaster with the Milwaukee Bucks. It was he who coined the term “sky hook” during the 1974 Finals between Milwaukee Bucks and the Boston Celtics. But now that the trademark rights of the term has gone to Abdul Jabber. Doucette, opines, “I wasn’t comfortable with that. It was a part of what I did. We got a lot of mileage out of it.” However, this statement by Doucette was made some time back. In the most recent interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, he said that now he is not so much upset about the trademark incident as Abdul-Jabbar had given the real meaning to his word.
In the 20 years that Kareem Abdul Jabbar played ball, he dominated each and every game that he played in. The present day players and critics who have had the fortune to witness Kareem on court say that he was like a video game. He could shoot to score at his own free will and he never seemed to get tired. He was too modest and humble to be flashy and loud mouthed and these were his only flaws.
- Bryant overtakes Jordan to lead NBA All-Star score - Feb 27, 2012
- NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal announces retirement after 19 years - Jun 02, 2011
- NBA legend Abdul-Jabbar pays visit to Flamengo - Jan 28, 2012
- LeBron James gets third NBA most valuable player citation - May 13, 2012
- Brandon Jennings Scores Wins And Records Against Warriors - Nov 15, 2009
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar diagnosed with rare cancer - Nov 11, 2009
- Steve Blake Agrees To Four-Years Contract With Los Angeles Lakers - Jul 03, 2010
- John Wooden In Grave Condition - Jun 04, 2010
- Andrew Bogut Suffers Fatal Fall During Saturday Night Game - Apr 04, 2010
- Boston Celtics Selects Avery Bradley As 19th Overall Pick - Jun 25, 2010
- Los Angeles Lakers Crush Boston Celtics In Game 6 - Jun 16, 2010
- Becks hopes to save his career - with yoga! - Sep 12, 2010
- NBA Playoffs To Begin On April 17 - Apr 15, 2010
- Rookie Derrick Rose does one better than Michael Jordan - Apr 19, 2009
- Jerry West Speaks On Kobe Bryant And The Celtics - Jun 04, 2010
Tags: basketball shot, boston celtics, broadcaster, decade, eddie doucette, fortune, kareem abdul jabbar, los angeles lakers, mileage, milwaukee bucks, milwaukee journal sentinel, present day, sky hook, trademark rights, video game