Kanoute leads Sevilla to comeback defeat of BarcelonaAugust 15th, 2010 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Aug 15 (DPA) Sevilla came from behind to beat Barcelona 3-1 on Saturday, in the first leg of the Spanish Supercup football, the curtain-raiser to the season played between league and cup winners.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic gave Barca an early lead, only for Sevilla to turn the tables in the second half with two goals from Frederic Kanoute and one from Luis Fabiano.
The second leg will be played Aug 21 in Barcelona.
Kanoute said that “we knew that we had to get a good result tonight, to take with us to Barcelona. We suffered a lot in the first half, but the second half was just wonderful.”
The ageless striker added that “this was exactly what we needed” ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League qualifying match away to Sporting Braga.
“We will go to Portugal in good spirits,” he said, “though we know that it will be a difficult game.”
Tiago - one of the many youngsters fielded in Seville by Barca coach Pep Guardiola - said that “we were very weak in the second half, but we still have a good chance to win this trophy”.
The defeat might cause Guardiola to question his reliance on young players from the club’s nursery team. This week he raised eyebrows by telling Barca president Sandro Rosell not to bother signing Mesut Oezil or Javier Mascherano, because the club has so many talented kids waiting in the wings.
Guardiola did not field any of Barca’s eight World Cup winners, because on Wednesday they made an exhausting journey to play in the Mexico-Spain friendly.
Ibrahimovic - who might be on his way to Manchester City - gave Barca the lead in the 21st minute by flicking home a clever through-ball from Maxwell.
But Barca failed to build on their lead and the hosts took control after the interval.
Luca Cigarini set up Luis Fabiano to make it 1-1, then Kanoute gave Sevilla the lead by turning in a centre from Alvaro Negredo.
With the young Barca defence looking shaky, Kanoute made it 3-1 with a splendid header to a centre from Diego Perotti.
- Barcelona go top by thrashing crisis team Atletico Madrid - Sep 20, 2009
- Majestic Barcelona turn on the style in Santander - Sep 23, 2009
- Sevilla keen to make progress in Champions League - Dec 08, 2009
- Sevilla well-placed to reach final after beating Getafe - Feb 04, 2010
- Barca eight points clear, Filipe Luis injured - Jan 24, 2010
- Goal-happy Real Madrid now just two points behind Barcelona - Dec 20, 2009
- Barcelona head Real by one point after late draw - Nov 01, 2009
- Barcelona's draw in Bilbao leaves Real Madrid top - Nov 22, 2009
- Mallorca ahead of Sevilla in battle for fourth place - Feb 08, 2010
- Barcelona buy Adriano from Sevilla - Jul 16, 2010
- La Liga title still not out of grasp: Guardiola - Nov 27, 2011
- Barca win 'El Classico' to go top of Spanish La Liga - Dec 11, 2011
- Barcelona maintain five point lead with late win - Dec 06, 2009
- Real Madrid need Supercup win to boost morale - Aug 28, 2012
- Two tough defences as Barca host Sevilla - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: barcelona madrid, champions league, curtain raiser, dpa, eyebrows, frederic kanoute, good chance, interval, luis fabiano, manchester city, mascherano, maxwell, pep guardiola, sandro, seville, striker, talented kids, waiting in the wings, world cup winners, youngsters