Kamran, Razzaq, Younis likely to be axed from Pak squad for West Indies seriesApril 6th, 2011 - 12:57 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, April 6(ANI): The Pakistan cricket team for the upcoming series against the West Indies will be finalised on Wednesday.
Earlier, the national selection committee failed to announce the squad even after seven-hour-long discussions, as its members were divided over the selection of some players, so the selectors will meet today to finalise the team.
Some selectors were of the view that performances in domestic cricket should be the only criteria for cricketers’ selection in the team, but some others wanted to pick young players regardless of their performance to replace senior players, who are being given rest from this tour, the Dawn quoted sources, as saying.
Pakistan will play five one-dayers, two Twenty20 and as many Test matches on the tour starting from April 13.
All-rounder Abdul Razzaq and former Test captain Younis Khan are likely to be dropped from the team for the West Indies tour.
As opening batsman Kamran Akmal is not likely to get a place due to his dismal show behind the stumps throughout the 2011 World Cup, three players- Imran Farhat, Taufiq Umar and Ahmad Shahzad- are in the run to be selected as opener along with Mohammad Hafeez.
Mohammad Salman, a wicket-keeper from Faisalabad, is likely to be included in the squad, as he has scored 637 runs in the National One-day Cup besides taking 29 catches behind the stumps. (ANI)
- Azam, Adnan, Taufeeq may replace Razzaq, Kamran, Shahzad in Pak team: Afridi - Apr 06, 2011
- Kamran, Razzaq, Younus omitted from Pak squad for West Indies tour - Apr 06, 2011
- Pakistan pick new faces for Zimbabwe tour - Jul 28, 2011
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Pakistan names cricket squad for T20 World Cup - Jul 18, 2012
- Akmal rejoicing return to Pakistan team - Jan 05, 2011
- Kamran, Naved in 30-man preliminary Pak World Cup squad - Jan 05, 2011
- Pakistan announce World Cup squad without a captain - Jan 18, 2011
- Pakistan names World Cup squad minus Yousuf, mystery prevails over skipper - Jan 19, 2011
- Malik axed from Pakistan's Asia Cup side; Jamshed, Sarfraz recalled - Mar 03, 2012
- Kamran's replacement Salman aims to justify his selection in Pak team for Windies tour - Apr 08, 2011
- Ex-Pak cricketers hail Akhtar, Malik's inclusion in Asia Cup squad - Jun 04, 2010
- Afridi, Akmal not in new PCB contracts - Aug 08, 2011
- 15-member Pak squad announced for Test series against Windies - May 03, 2011
- 'Butter-fingered' keeper Kamran eyes comeback in Pak team as 'specialist batsman' - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: ahmad, domestic cricket, faisalabad, kamran akmal, lahore, mohammad hafeez, national selection committee, pakistan cricket team, play five, rounder, selectors, shahzad, stumps, taufiq, twenty20, umar, west indies, wicket keeper, world cup, younis khan