Kalpana to lead Indian judo squad in AsiadOctober 23rd, 2010 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 23 (IANS) Kalpana Devi, India’s first ever medallist at the judo World Cup will lead the eight-member squad for the Asian Games in Guangzhou, China.
The Judo Federation of India (JFI) Saturday selected four Men and four Women for the Nov 12-27 event.
Kalpana, who created history by winning a bronze medal in the World Cup in Uzbekistan earlier this year, will be one of the biggest medal hopes for India in women’s judo.
K.H. Tombi Devi, who won a bronze at the 2007 Asian Judo Championships, is also expected to finish at the podium.
Navjot Chana, who won a gold at the 2010 Commonwealth Judo Championship, will be spearheading the men’s challenge.
“Jozsef Csak, the judo coach from Hungary has been engaged to train the Indian Judo team for the Asian Games alongside Kamla Rawat,” said a statement released by JFI.
The team is undergoing training in Bhopal.
The judo event of the Games will be held Nov 13-16.
Men: Navjot Chana-60kg, Sanju Singh Irom-66kg, Ramashrey Yadav-73kg,
Sahil Pathania-90 kg.
Women: K.H. Tombi Devi-48kg, TH. Kalpana Devi-52kg, A. Anita Chanu-57kg,
Coaches: Jozsef Csak, Kamla Rawat
- Asian Games judo: Tombi Devi, Navjot Chana out in quarters - Nov 16, 2010
- Asian Games: Indian shuttlers, paddlers advance (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Swimmer Khade wins Asiad bronze, boxer Suranjoy, shuttlers, paddlers advance (Evening Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Asian Games: Four bronzes for India on day four (Roundup) - Nov 16, 2010
- Sushila Devi wins gold in Asian junior judo - Oct 04, 2011
- Khatri, Alka to lead India's charge at Asian Wrestling - Apr 28, 2011
- Chinese judokas set sight on heavyweight classes - Jul 09, 2012
- ITBP's Kalpana creates history with a bronze medal in Judo World Cup - Sep 26, 2010
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- ITBP personnel win gold medals in Commonwealth judo - Jan 13, 2010
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- Six CWG gold medal winning wrestlers in Asian Games squad - Oct 19, 2010
- Indian wrestlers put behind doping scandal, aim for rich haul - Sep 20, 2010
- Mary Kom to lead Indian challenge in Asian championship - Mar 01, 2012
- Wrestler Anil Kumar wins silver in Asian Championship - May 22, 2011
Tags: asiad, asian games, bronze medal, chana, chanu, four men, four women, guangzhou china, irom, jfi, judo championship, judo championships, judo federation, judo team, judo world, member squad, rawat, sahil, tombi, yadav