Kalmadi eyes London trip during OlympicsJuly 12th, 2012 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 12 (IANS) Former Commonwealth Games (CWG) Organising Committee (OC) chairman and graft accused Suresh Kalmadi Thursday moved a Delhi court seeking permission to attend a meeting in London during the Olympics starting July 27.
Kalmadi, who is out on bail in a graft case related to the 2010 CWG here, requested Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Talwant Singh to grant him permission to go to Britain from July 26 to Aug 13.
He said he wanted to attend the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Council conference in London.
“Applicant (Kalmadi), in his capacity, as a member of the IAAF Council and as president of Asian Athletics Association (AAA), is required to attend certain meetings, conferences and matters of the IAAF during the London 2012 Olympics,” said Kalmadi’s application.
The court listed the matter for further hearing Friday.
Kalmadi also placed on record the invitation from the IAAF Council and programme schedule of the Olympics and details of travel ticket sent to him by association’s general secretary Essar Gabriel.
The CBI in its first chargesheet in the case against Kalmadi and 10 others described him as a prime accused and the mastermind in the corruption case related to financial irregularities in awarding a Rs.141 crore contract for a scoring system.
The accused officials and two companies were charged under various sections of the Indian Penal Code for cheating, criminal conspiracy and forgery and under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- Kalmadi allowed to visit London for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Kalmadi allowed to visit London for Olympics - Jul 13, 2012
- Court notice to Kalmadi over London visit (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Never had plans to attend opening ceremony: Kalmadi - Jul 25, 2012
- Court to decide Wednesday on Kalmadi's London visit (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Maken firm on aborting Kalmadi's London trip - Jul 15, 2012
- Hearing put off on Kalmadi's plea to attend parliament - Jul 26, 2011
- CBI court allows Kalmadi to go to Kazakhstan - Apr 18, 2012
- Court allows Kalmadi's London visit (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Kalmadi moves court to attend parliament - Jul 23, 2011
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
- Court notice to Kalmadi over London visit (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Court allows Kalmadi's London visit (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Kalmadi opposes charges in CWG graft case - May 23, 2012
- I Have every right to go to Olympics: Kalmadi - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympics, asian athletics, cbi, central bureau of investigation, commonwealth games, corruption case, criminal conspiracy, crore, delhi court, financial irregularities, graft case, iaaf, indian penal code, international association of athletics federations, london 2012 olympics, london trip, prevention of corruption act, scoring system, special judge, travel ticket