Kallis is the most sought after South AfricanFebruary 24th, 2011 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
By Bharat Sharma
Delhi, Feb 24 (IANS) Jacques Kallis is the most sought after cricketer of the South African fans gathered here at the Ferozeshah Kotla for their team’s opening World Cup match against the West Indies Thursday.
A busload of supporters from the South African high commission thronged the refurbished stadium to root for their team. A few passionate fans have even travelled all the way from Johannesburg and Cape Town.
The fans were unanimous in naming Kallis as their favourite player.
“I hope Kallis fires in this match. I am really looking forward to see him at his best, he is a champion cricketer,” an excited Andre Hanekom, who is here as part of a 40-member group from Cape Town, told IANS.
“It is probably going to be his last World Cup and it will be great if he can sign off in style.”
Another cricket enthusiast was quick to draw a comparison between Kallis and India’s batting legend Sachin Tendulkar.
“The Indians might not like it, but Kallis has got a slightly better batting average than Sachin. I am here to see him. Having said that, they both are greats of the game,” said Kevin Oldfield from Johannesburg.
“If you look at it, the World Cup starts with this match. Until now, it was only the weaker teams playing the stronger ones.”
It is not only the fans who are rooting for one of the world’s best all-rounder, his skipper, too, is all praise for him.
“Kallis has been a pillar of the side for the last 15 years. It will be great to win the Cup for him,” Smith said.
- Kallis is South African Cricketer of the Year - Jun 08, 2011
- Cape Town gets set to give fitting, emotional farewell to Ntini - Jan 09, 2011
- No demons in Kotla track - Feb 24, 2011
- Daredevils set Knight Riders 154-run target - May 07, 2012
- Big time cricket returns to Kotla - Feb 24, 2011
- We have to play 'brave cricket' against India: Borren - Mar 08, 2011
- South Africa beat India by 11 runs (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Celebrity fan Sudhir a hit at Kotla (World Cup Diary) - Mar 09, 2011
- Rain stops play at West Indies-South Africa match - Feb 24, 2011
- Bowling wicket-to-wicket was the key: Sammy - Nov 07, 2011
- Windies captain Sammy all praise for young teammates - Nov 09, 2011
- Mumbai wishes Team India Good luck with messages on 100 feet long bat - Feb 19, 2011
- India trailing by 220 runs against South Africa - Jan 03, 2011
- Morkel excited to play under Sehwag - Apr 09, 2011
- South Africa to bat against India - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: batting average, bharat, cape town, cricket enthusiast, cricketer, fires, indians, jacques kallis, johannesburg, kotla, match, member group, oldfield, passionate fans, pillar, sachin tendulkar, skipper, south african fans, west indies, world cup