Kabaddi World Cup begins in PunjabApril 4th, 2010 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
Patiala (Punjab), April 3 (IANS) The first edition of World Cup Kabaddi Punjab-2010 (WCKP) championship, with nine countries participating, got off to a colourful start amid the presence of many dignitaries here Saturday evening.
Bollywood actors Dharmendra and his son Sunny Deol also participated in the function.
Declaring the tournament open, Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal promised to add more focus on rural games like kabaddi in the new sports policy of the state.
The opening ceremony of this first-ever international kabaddi tournament showcased the strong cultural legacy of India through folk dances of 14 different states. Besides, spectators were regaled by Punjabi singers and comedians.
The team winning the competition will receive a cash award of Rs.1 crore, and the first runner-up will bag Rs.51 lakh. The second and third runner-up teams will take home Rs.21 and Rs.10 lakh respectively.
Besides Rs.500,000 each will be given to other participating teams.
Nine countries like Pakistan, US, Great Britain, Canada, Iran and Australia are participating in this 11-day event.
- Punjab to host Kabaddi World Cup next month - Mar 17, 2010
- Women's teams to feature in kabaddi World Cup - Jul 17, 2011
- Encouraging response for Kabaddi world cup - Mar 29, 2010
- Twelve nations to vie for Rs.2 crore World Kabaddi Cup - Jun 19, 2011
- India, Pakistan to meet in Kabaddi World Cup finals - Apr 11, 2010
- The 'desi' boys of Punjab's kabaddi world cup - Nov 08, 2011
- World Kabaddi cup begins in Punjab Nov 1 - Oct 27, 2011
- After gala start, India take on Germany in Kabaddi World Cup - Nov 02, 2011
- Punjab to start International Kabaddi League on IPL lines - Apr 05, 2010
- Punjab government awards Indian kabaddi team Rs.25 lakh - Sep 27, 2011
- India win men, women world cup Kabaddi titles - Nov 21, 2011
- In times of F1, Punjab talked kabaddi - Nov 13, 2011
- India, Canada teams to clash in Kabaddi finals - Nov 19, 2011
- Punjab Games to have rich cash incentives - Nov 10, 2010
- India beat Pakistan to win Kabaddi World Cup 2010 (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
Tags: actors, badal, comedians, crore, deputy chief minister, dharmendra, dignitaries, folk dances, great britain, kabaddi, new sports, opening ceremony, patiala, punjabi singers, rs 1, rs 500, saturday evening, spectators, sunny deol, world cup