Jwala backs Sania’s claim on male chauvinismJune 27th, 2012 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 27 (IANS) Shuttler Jwala Gutta has backed her fellow Hyderabadi tennis player Sania Mirza’s claim that male chauvinism is part of Indian sports.
“All India Tennis Association (AITA) should have consulted Sania before taking the decision. It’s shocking the way they dealt with the entire episode. The association should have called the players and everybody’s opinion would have mattered,” Jwala told NDTV Wednesday.
“It not only brings bad name for tennis, but bad name to the way the whole system works,” Jwala said a day after Sania said the controversial tennis team selection for the London Olympics “reeked of male chauvinism”.
Sania broke her silence on the issue after getting a wildcard for the Olympics where she has been paired with Leander Paes and not regular partner Mahesh Bhupathi. India’s highest ranked women’s player accused the AITA of using her “as a bait to satisfy one of the disgruntled stalwarts of Indian tennis”.
Talking further on the matter, Jwala said she herself had suffered from male domination in badminton.
“It’s always been there. I have suffered the same way. It is quite ridiculous. We have so many female athletes, big names who have done really well in sports. Seeing all this, I fear many females might be afraid to take up sports as career,” Jwala added.
- Sania tears apart AITA, doesn't spare Paes and Bhupathi (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jwala Gutta focusing on fitness ahead of Olympics - Jun 28, 2012
- Sania slams Paes for demanding 'written assurances' - Jun 27, 2012
- I have nothing to lose, everything to gain: Jwala Gutta (Interview) - Jul 12, 2012
- AITA keeps players happy; to send two teams for Games (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Jwala eyeing London berth with good run at India Open - Apr 24, 2012
- Maken questions AITA's decision to pick one team - Jun 18, 2012
- Paes serves a threat, AITA defers Olympics selection (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Only wildcard can revive Sania's Olympic hopes - Jun 11, 2012
- Players should put country first, says Maken - Jun 22, 2012
- Bhupathi lashes out at AITA - Sep 18, 2012
- Bhupathi-AITA trade charges against each other (Roundup) - Sep 18, 2012
- Paes threatens to withdraw from Olympics - Jun 20, 2012
- AITA confident of getting Sania to play in Olympics - May 30, 2012
- AITA picks two teams for Olympics, Paes still unhappy (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: aita, female athletes, gutta, indian sports, indian tennis, leander paes, london olympics, mahesh bhupathi, male chauvinism, male domination, ndtv, partner mahesh, ranked women, sania mirza, stalwarts, team selection, tennis association, tennis player, tennis team, wildcard