Junior squash: India clinch bronzeJuly 18th, 2012 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Doha, July 18 (IANS) After his heroics against Hong Kong in the quarter-finals, Kush Kumar once again delivered the decisive point for India who went on to beat England 2-0 to clinch the bronze medal in the World Junior squash team championship here Wednesday.
After Kush Kumar defeated Richie Fallows 11-8, 11-8, 9-11, 13-11 in the first singles in 46 minutes, Mahesh Mangaonkar wrapped up the tie for India outplaying Ollie Holland 6-11, 11-0, 11-7, 11-7 in the second singles that lasted 54 minutes.
Kush had a great start, imposing his fast pace to push Fallows on the back foot, and took a 2-0 lead in the best-of-five contest.
However, Fallows was able to lengthen the rallies, put more weight on the ball and get the match to be played at the back, to win the third game.
In the fourth game, Fallows blew two game balls before committing errors and Kush scrambled through 13-11 after finding his length.
The Indian camp celebrated that win and they were probably right to do so as Mangaonkar, playing the second singles, had better results this week than his England rival Holland.
But as it happens, that’s when a player is more dangerous. Holland surprised everybody as he went for his shots to take the first game while Mangaonkar barely made his presence felt.
The Indian then put his foot on the pedal, and offered a nice bagel (11-0) to his opponent. The third was more balanced, but still going the Indian’s way, 11-7.
In the fourth, Holland was still confident and threatened Mangaonkar by taking a 4-1 lead. The Indian had to give it a big push to get back level. He went on to take 8-5 and 9-7 leads before a couple of stunning backhand drop shots sent Holland the wrong way, and Mangaonkar wrapped up the game and match at 11-7.
- Kush upsets Alsaraj for junior squash title - Sep 10, 2011
- Ashita puts out second seed Akanksha in Indian Open squash - Sep 08, 2011
- World Junior Squash: Aparajitha rallies to win - Jul 09, 2012
- Anaka in quarterfinals of British Open junior squash - Jan 04, 2012
- Mahesh, Anaka in finals of Indian Open squash - Sep 09, 2011
- India storm into semis of World Junior squash - Jul 17, 2012
- World Junior Squash: Anaka, Mahesh in last eight - Jul 10, 2012
- Inter-institutional TT: Most seeded players in pre-quarters - Aug 26, 2012
- Tandon moves into second round of world junior squash - Jul 14, 2011
- PSPB sweep all four singles titles at Junior National TT - Jan 09, 2012
- Mahesh, Anaka bow out of world junior squash - Jul 11, 2012
- Inter-Institutional TT: Double delight for Ghosh, Ghatak - Aug 27, 2012
- Petroleum bag three out of four titles in National TT - Jan 05, 2012
- Inter-institutional TT: PSPB retain men's, women's team titles - Aug 24, 2012
- Hei survives a scare in Indian Open junior squash - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: bagel, bronze medal, decisive point, drop shots, first game, game balls, heroics, holland, hong kong, junior squash, match, ollie, opponent, pace, presence, quarter finals, rallies, squash team, third game, wrong way