Junior Davis Cup: India open against Chinese TaipeiApril 17th, 2011 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) India face a tough challenge when they play fourth seeded Chinese Taipei in the Asia-Oceania Junior Davis Cup tennis final qualifier beginning Monday at the Delhi Lawn Tennis Association (DLTA) courts.
India are unseeded in the tournament and are placed in Group D. Sixteen countries will be participating in the tournament, which will conclude April 23.
Japan have got top billing, while Australia and Uzbekistan are seeded second and third.
India will be represented by Shaik Abdullah, Fatehdeep Singh, Garvit Batra. Team captain Vishaal Uppal is hoping that hosts will spring a surprise in the group, which also includes sixth seeded China and Sri Lanka.
“The preparations have gone okay. We have been placed in a top group. Taipei are fourth seed and we are unseeded but then anything is possible. I hope the guys will take advantage of the home conditions. If we are able to beat Taipei, then we have a good chance of topping the group,” Uppal told IANS.
Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Ajay Makan, will inaugurate the event.
Group A: Japan(1), New Zealand, Kazakstan, South Korea (7)
Group B: Australia (2), Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong (5)
Group C: Uzbekistan (3), Malaysia, Syria, Thailand (8)
Group D: Chinese Taipei (4), Sri Lanka, India, China (6)
- Junior Davis Cup: India beat Sri Lanka 3-0 - Apr 20, 2011
- India lose to China in Jr Davis cup - Apr 19, 2011
- India beat New Zealand in junior Davis Cup - Apr 22, 2011
- India go down to Chinese Taipei in Junior Davis Cup - Apr 18, 2011
- Junior Fed Cup: Indian girls go down 1-2 to Thailand - Apr 27, 2011
- India's Ambika wins under-18 ITF meet in Canada - Jul 17, 2011
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- India to play Japan in Davis Cup World Group play-off - Jul 13, 2011
- Paes to miss Davis Cup tie against Japan - Sep 13, 2011
- India relegated to Group II after Davis Cup loss (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Shroff, Bisht lone Indians in ITF juniors semis - May 19, 2010
- India's badminton coach Gopichand accuses Japan of 'wanting to lose' - Aug 01, 2012
- Asian Games: Somdev, Rastogi in men's singles quarters - Nov 20, 2010
- Pattaya Open: Sania out of singles, doubles hopes alive - Feb 10, 2012
- India down Pakistan 3-2 in Asiad hockey; medal tally at 24 (Roundup) - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: asia oceania, batra, chinese taipei, davis cup, davis cup tennis, dlta, good chance, groupings, hosts, india china, kazakstan, lawn tennis association, New Delhi, philippines, south korea, team captain, top billing, uzbekistan, vishaal uppal, youth affairs