Judoka Garima aims to strike in rich in LondonJune 28th, 2012 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 28 (IANS) India’s sole representative at the London Olympics from judo, Garima Chaudhary said Thursday that it was a dream come true and that she had set sights on bringing back an Olympic medal.
Garima made the cut in the 63kg category based on the latest rankings released by the International Judo Federation (IJF). She finished 88th in the latest rankings after her creditable seventh position at the Asian Judo Championships in Tashkent (Uzbekistan).
“It’s a dream come true for any athlete to compete at the biggest stage like the Olympics. I am fortunate to make the grade,” she said. “My job is not done though, I am to get back an Olympic medal,” she added.
Her coach Jivan Sharma praised Garima for her hard work and determination.
“She has great will power and has done a lot of hard work to reach this level. She is a very positive and confident person,” he said.
“She is a naturally talented athlete and from the very beginning we have had high hopes for her.”
Jivan lamented the lack of time in preparing for the olympics.
“We would have prepared better if we had known she would qualify. She just about made the cut.”
“Earlier, she used to get over-awed by the Japanese and the Korean fighters. Now because she has faced many of them in international events, she has become used to them,” he said.
- Small town girl looks to achieve big in London (With Image) - Jul 11, 2012
- ITBP's Kalpana creates history with a bronze medal in Judo World Cup - Sep 26, 2010
- India's sole judoka out of Olympics - Jul 31, 2012
- Brazil hope to end Olympic judo medal drought in London - May 02, 2012
- Olympics: Saudi Arabia girl attracts attention in judo - Aug 04, 2012
- Japan aims for top five finish at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Brazil eyes 20 medals at London Games - Jul 25, 2012
- Andhra celebrates second bronze medal at Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Kalpana to lead Indian judo squad in Asiad - Oct 23, 2010
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Tuesday - Jul 31, 2012
- I can hope and try, not predict: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Jul 16, 2012
- Poverty led Colombian medallist to wrestling - Aug 11, 2012
- Excited to be Olympics-bound: Ashwini Ponnappa - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: coach, confident person, garima, high hopes, India, international judo federation, job, judo championships, lack of time, london olympics, New Delhi, olympic medal, olympics, sole representative, talented athlete, tashkent uzbekistan