Juan Pablo involved in Montoya crashFebruary 29th, 2012 - 12:09 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Daytona, Feb 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Juan Pablo Montoya will be the first to admit being very lucky after he walked off unhurt following a massive fire which was sparked after he crashed his car into a jet fuel tank.
When the rain delayed the start of the Daytona 500 race for more than a day, all seemed set for the competition to start. However just as everyone was settling down into comfort, the dangerous explosion took place.
Montoya crashed his car into a tanker which contained about 200 gallons of jet fuel. The resulting explosion lighted the entire race circuit and made the race almost impossible to start.
Montoya told reporters that he suspected the crash would result in a fire. He explained that, “I didn’t think about the truck. I thought, I’m going to be hitting the jet and it’s not going to be fun. Before I got there, I thought, ‘This thing is going to be on fire pretty bad’ — and it was. When you’re in the car, every time you hit like that it’s a big bang and you hit and they [his pit crew] were trying to ask me if I was okay, but I was getting out. I saw the flames and my helmet got a little burned and everything, but … move on.”
Matt Kenseth never had any such worries and moved on to win the race after the restart.
- Daytona 500 2012 race thrills all - Feb 28, 2012
- Danica Patrick involved in car wreck in the Daytona 500 race - Feb 28, 2012
- Kate Upton is Grand Marshal at the Daytona 500 race - Feb 27, 2012
- Kevin Harvick Wins Coke Zero 400 In A Wild Finish - Jul 04, 2010
- Danica Patrick has 3 wrecks in 3 races at the Daytona 500 - Feb 28, 2012
- NASCAR driver Matt Kenseth's wife Katie Kenseth injured in car accident - Sep 28, 2011
- Man rams tanker into ex-wife's house - Jan 23, 2012
- Danica Patrick makes her debut at NASCAR - Feb 07, 2010
- Trevor Bayne wins Daytona 500 race - Feb 21, 2011
- JK Tyre National Racing: Bala, Prakash, Ameya post wins - Jul 16, 2011
- Jimmie johnson storms the Bristol Motor Speedway at the Food City 500 - Mar 22, 2010
- Bruno Senna awarded Lorenzo Bandini Trophy - Jul 17, 2012
- Kasey Kahne Proud Victor At Atlanta Motor Speedway - Sep 07, 2009
- Danica Patrick Is Going To Make NASCAR Debut - Feb 09, 2010
- Vijaykumar, Feroze bag honours in National racing - Jul 08, 2012