Jozy Altidore confident about Anzhi clashAugust 20th, 2012 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) AZ Alkmaar striker Jozy Altidore is confident that his team will be able to cope with Anzhi’s Samuel Eto’o in their Europa League playoff first leg Thursday.
Altidore said he was looking forward to playing the big-spending Russian side, adding that he was confident team mates were able to contain Anzhi’s star striker Samuel Eto’o.
“Of course, they have Eto’o. But I have every confidence that Nick Viergever can put him off his stride. He is probably the best defender in the Eredivisie,” Altidore said on the AZ website.
The match will be played in Moscow because Anzhi’s home region of Dagestan was declared unfit to host European matches by UEFA due to security concerns.
In the last round of the competition, Anzhi knocked out Dutch opposition in the shape of Vitesse Arnhem, winning 4-0 on aggregate.
Altidore, 22, has had a good start to the season, scoring four goals in the first two games of the Dutch season, and said he felt in good shape.
“I feel better than a year ago. Meanwhile, I have developed and I know what is expected of a striker in our system. But there are still many things I can improve,” he said.
After spending three years with Villarreal, one of them in England on loan at Hull City, Altidore joined AZ in 2011 and has since scored 21 goals in 33 games. He also scored 13 goals in 49 appearances for the US.
- Anzhi smash five past Alkmaar to qualify for Europa - Aug 31, 2012
- Eto'o slams fans after Europa League racism incident - Aug 29, 2012
- Anzhi grab narrow win over AZ - Aug 24, 2012
- Dynamo drawn against Stuttgart in Europa League playoffs - Aug 10, 2012
- Sneijder's agent, Inter rubbish Anzhi rumours - Jul 13, 2012
- Di Natale denies Anzhi Euro triumph - Sep 21, 2012
- Anzhi optimistic about winning Europa League - Sep 11, 2012
- Eto'o a doubt for Anzhi: Hiddink - Aug 17, 2012
- Anzhi confirm Diarra signing - Sep 04, 2012
- Eto'o asks UEFA to reconsider Anzhi ban - Jul 16, 2012
- Anzhi budget may harm Russian football: Wernbloom - Aug 09, 2012
- Dundee United to face Dynamo Moscow in Europa League - Jul 20, 2012
- Ex-Anzhi midfielder Gadzhiev joins Ukraine's Tavriya - Sep 14, 2012
- Anzhi stars upset at UEFA stadium ban: Boussoufa - Jul 12, 2012
- Real's Diarra set to join Anzhi - Sep 01, 2012
Tags: arnhem, az alkmaar, clash, confidence, confident team, dg, good shape, hull city, jozy altidore, many things, moscow, opposition, ria novosti, russian side, samuel eto o, security concerns, star striker, team mates, two games, villarreal