Johnson undergoes toe surgery, ruled out for six monthsDecember 1st, 2011 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Dec 1 (IANS) Australian pacer Mitchell Johnson underwent surgery on his left toe here Thursday and will need five to six months to recover thus ruling him out of the cricket Test series against New Zealand and India.
Cricket Australia (CA) doctor Trefor James said Johnson sustained a severe injury to ligaments, commonly referred to as ‘Turf Toe’, while batting in the second Test in South Africa.
“Although lesser degrees of this injury can be managed without surgery, Mitchell’s injury was a severe form and surgery was clearly the best option. I would expect Mitchell to be able to return to cricket in five to six months,” said James after the surgery.
Johnson rubbished talks of his career being over and spoke positively of his return. The left-arm pacer who was the ICC player of Year in 2009 has endured a torrid time of late with the ball managing to pick just three wickets in the two-Test series against the Proteas. But he starred with the bat in the second Test in Johannesburg to give Australia a dramatic series levelling win.
“I’m definitely going to be back, I’ve heard a few reports that my career’s over due to form - not because of this injury … I just laugh at it. I’m only 30 years old and I’ve got plenty of cricket left in me. I’m going to take a lot of positives out of this (injury) layoff,” he said.
- Johnson eyeing IPL to resurrect his Test career - Jan 11, 2012
- Pacer Mitchell Johnson may be ruled out for summer - Nov 30, 2011
- Mumbai Indians sign Smith for injured Johnson - May 02, 2012
- Krejza's place in final Oz XI as only spinner under threat from better batting part-timers - Feb 17, 2011
- Sans Zaheer, India's bowling attack will be in trouble: Clarke - Dec 23, 2011
- Smith injures finger ahead of Kolkata Test - Feb 12, 2010
- White appointed captain of Australia's T20 team - Jan 07, 2011
- India will rely on swing: Zaheer - Dec 15, 2011
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Harris returns to Australia Test squad - Dec 30, 2011
- Starc,Pattinson likely to play India in Boxing Day Test - Dec 07, 2011
- Ponting, Hilditch back Johnson to come out of form slump - Nov 16, 2010
- World T20: Australia axe Pattinson from preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- Selectors back Australia's inconsistent pace attack - Jan 02, 2011
- Century-maker Samuels gives it back to Anderson - May 26, 2012
Tags: cricket australia, cricket test, dramatic series, india cricket, injury layoff, johannesburg, left arm, melbourne, mitchell johnson, new zealand, pacer, proteas, second test, six months, south africa, test series, torrid time, trefor, turf toe, wickets