Johnson, Hughes move up in ICC Test rankingsMarch 12th, 2009 - 6:11 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 12 (ANI): Australias two most exciting prospects for Ashes 2009 series, Mitchell Johnson and Phillip Hughes, have made big impressions in the latest ICC player rankings.
Johnson, the new pace spearhead in the absence of injured duo Stuart Clark and Brett Lee, has climbed to the second spot in the bowling rankings alongside South African rival Dale Steyn on 811 points.
Left-arm quick Johnson has taken 12 wickets at 21.00 to top the averages in the first two Tests of the three-match series in South Africa, while Steyn has nine wickets at 35.77.
Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan remains the No.1-ranked bowler. Australias Clark and Lee are ranked fourth and ninth respectively in the world, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Hughes, the 20-year-old opener who this week became the youngest player in Test history to score two centuries in the same Test, has leapt 20 places to 41st in the batting rankings.
Hughes has only played two Tests but has an average of 87.50.
Australian captain Ricky Ponting has moved up one spot to fourth and West Indian Shivnarine Chanderpaul has reclaimed the top spot.
Australias 2-0 series advantage over South Africa means Pontings men have retained their No.1 ranking. (ANI)
- Chanderpaul back as No.1 Test batsman - Apr 29, 2012
- Dravid rises in ICC rankings, Tendulkar drops to 4th - Jul 26, 2011
- England consolidate their lead in Test rankings - Jun 12, 2012
- Watson becomes No.1 all rounder in ODIs - Apr 15, 2011
- Saeed Ajmal becomes No.1 ranked ODI bowler - Sep 06, 2012
- After Ponting-Clarke century stand, Johnson-Cummins bowl Australia to victory - Oct 20, 2011
- Tendulkar moves to second spot in Test rankings - Dec 21, 2010
- Australia win a thriller against South Africa - Nov 21, 2011
- Younus Khan moves up on rankings ladder - Dec 13, 2011
- Chanderpaul moves to fifth in Test rankings - Apr 14, 2012
- Tendulkar climbs to third spot in ICC rankings - Oct 06, 2010
- Cook climbs to career-best third spot in Test rankings - Aug 14, 2011
- Asif displaces Johnson to claim second position in Test bowling rankings - Jul 18, 2010
- England maintain lead in Test rankings, India slip to 5th - Jul 14, 2012
- India rise to second spot in Test rankings - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: australian captain, brett lee, captain ricky ponting, daily telegraph, dale steyn, impressions, mitchell johnson, muttiah muralitharan, nine wickets, player rankings, prospects, ricky, score two, series advantage, shivnarine chanderpaul, spearhead, spinner, sri lankan, test history, test rankings