John Wright to leave NZ coaching job after Windies tourMay 1st, 2012 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, May 1 (IANS) New Zealand coach Joh Wright has decided to step down from his post after the team’s tour of the West Indies next month.
New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chief executive David White Tuesday told the media at Lincoln, near Christchurch, that Wright did not seek a contract extension while they wanted the former captain to continue.
“John has been an outstanding servant for cricket in New Zealand over a long time and it is disappointing to lose someone of his calibre,” said White.
“We were keen to see him continue his head coach role, however understand and respect his decision to look for another challenge.
“I would like to congratulate John on the contribution he has made and wish him all the best in his future endeavours.
“We are keen to fill this critical role as soon as possible but are conscious that we need to take the time to find the right candidate who can take us through to the World Cup.”
Speculations are rife that Wright decided to part ways after differences with NZC director John Buchanan, the former Australia coach.
Wright guided New Zealand to the 2011 World Cup semifinals months after taking over from Mark Greatbatch.
The 57-year-old coached India from 2000-2005 before taking up the New Zealand job in December 2010.
- Tensions between Buchanan and Wright in New Zealand cricket - Mar 29, 2012
- Donald all set to sign new contract with New Zealand - May 13, 2011
- Ross Taylor appointed New Zealand captain - Jun 21, 2011
- Signing of Buchanan as director seen as a coup for Kiwi cricket - Apr 17, 2011
- Buchanan likely to become New Zealand Cricket's director - Apr 08, 2011
- Buchanan confirmed as New Zealand cricket's director - Apr 15, 2011
- Australia, New Zealand in tussle over Donald - May 11, 2011
- New Zealand cricketers asked to give views on next captain - Jun 13, 2011
- Buchanan keen to make NZC a template for high-performance sport - Apr 16, 2011
- Coach Wright takes on an Aussie assistant - Dec 24, 2010
- Buchanan confident about cricket success for New Zealand - Apr 17, 2011
- McCullum forces Kiwi selectors into U-turn over inclusion for Pak T20 match - Dec 23, 2010
- Vettori to lose controversial selection powers - Dec 19, 2010
- Buchanan appointed New Zealand cricket director - Apr 15, 2011
- John Wright named new coach of New Zealand - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: calibre, christchurch, coach wright, coaching job, contract extension, critical role, director john, endeavours, head coach, joh, john buchanan, may 1, new zealand cricket, new zealand job, servant, speculations, wellington, west indies, world cup semifinals, zealand coach