Joe Mather Becomes Losing Pitcher, Sacrifice Fly off Wins It For MetsApril 18th, 2010 - 7:35 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
St. Louis, Apr 18, (THAINDIAN NEWS) A scoreless tie truly redefines what is said to be the game of anticipation. Joe Mather survived the fly off coming from Jeff Francoeur which actually was the breaking point for the tireless tie in the game of New York Mets and St. Louis Cardinals. New York Mets scored 2-1 against the St.Louis Cardinals which made them the winner of the game which lasted for 6 hours and 56 minutes. Not to mention that the match was quite reminiscent of the Mets Vs Astros match that ended 1-0. The match turned out to be a tough one for the St. Louis Cardinals who failed to snatch a home run even after they pulled the bases in their favor for three consecutive times. All credit goes to Johan Santana and Jaime Garcia who gave away a blasting start.
It was quite evident that The Cardinals were aware of the fact that both Joe Mather and Felipe Lopez are players who could come out at any point in time in the match and make a big difference which made them to employ all their relief pitchers along the 17 innings. Now that was the time when the utility man Felipe Lopez had dropped in which made things pretty easy for Joe Mather. He went ahead to pitch the 19th with Felipe Lopez guarding the third base.
Joe Mather went for a leadoff walk in the 19th pitch purposely to outrun David Wright. That was followed by a pitch which he held for Jason Bay. To end it all it was Jeff Francoeur’s fly off which finally brought about the win for New York Mets. It was sad to witness Joe Mather ending the game as a losing pitcher.
- Felipe Lopez Takes The Position Of A Pitcher For St. Louise Cardinals - Apr 18, 2010
- Pitcher Jake Westbrook Traded To St. Louis Cardinals - Aug 01, 2010
- New York Mets Trade Jeff Francoeur To Texas Rangers - Sep 01, 2010
- Tiger Woods' latest girlfriend is Alyse Lahti Johnston - Mar 24, 2011
- Tony La Russa talks on the David Letterman show - Nov 01, 2011
- Los Angeles Dodgers Manager Joe Torre Not To Return Next Season - Sep 18, 2010
- Cardinals paint the town red with their World Series parade - Oct 31, 2011
- World Series 2010 Has Been Scheduled - Oct 23, 2010
- St. Louis Cardinals Acquires Lance Berkman With $8 Million Deal - Dec 05, 2010
- NL wild card chase: Cardinals tied with Atlanta - Sep 28, 2011
- Ryan Church Joins Atlanta Braves - Jul 11, 2009
- Mark Loretta Hits Victory Run, Casey Blake Becomes Match Hero - Oct 09, 2009
- Flamengo confirms interest in Dorival as new coach - Jul 25, 2012
- World Series Game 6 was a treat for all the fans - Oct 28, 2011
- Albert Pujols signs up with the Los Angeles Angels - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: anticipation, breaking point, consecutive times, david wright, felipe lopez, fly, jaime garcia, jason bay, jeff francoeur, johan santana, match, mather, new york mets, point in time, ranjan, relief pitchers, sacrifice fly, scoreless tie, st louis cardinals, utility man