Joannie Rochette’s tribute to her motherMarch 17th, 2010 - 10:09 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
Mar 17 (Pen Men at Work): Canadian figure skater Joannie Rochette who lost her mother, just two days before the beginning of ladies’ figure skating competition at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver will be appearing on ABC show for a performance to pay tribute to her mom.On February 21, 2010, her mother, Thérèse Rochette, died of a heart attack at Vancouver General Hospital after arriving to watch her compete.
Joannie who won bronze medal at the event is scheduled to skate at a made-for-television exhibition, “Thin Ice,” performing the routine she did at the Olympic Gala, a skate set to her mother’s favorite song. Unfortunately, this event was not sanctioned by the ISU earlier as rule 102 threatens Rochette’s individual eligibility as a skater if she performs at a non-sanctioned event, while a violation of 136 could cause the ISU to place sanctions on Canada’s figure skating governing body. Skating a tribute to her mother for a television audience would have caused both Rochette and her country to be penalized by the ISU. but it seems that finally ISU have allowed Rochette and Joannie Rochette & tribute for her mom will happen.
Rochette who ranks 4th in the world is the 2009 World silver medalist, the 2008 and 2009 Four Continents silver medalist, the 2004 Grand Prix Final bronze medalist, and a six-time (2005–10) Canadian national champion said that her mother was her biggest fan but also very critical of her performance sometimes.
She got emotional during the interviews, and said that she was secure that her mom was with her in spirit.
- Joannie Rochette's Brave Heart Performance - Feb 27, 2010
- Joannie Rochette Will Perform To "Vole" In Tribute To Mother - Mar 17, 2010
- Skater Joannie Rochette to pay tribute to her mother on ABC's show 'Thin Ice' - Mar 18, 2010
- Joannie Rochette Soars In Figure Skating Short Program - Feb 24, 2010
- Kim Yu-Na Clinches Gold At Figure Skating Long Program - Feb 26, 2010
- Ashley Wagner Wins Bronze At 2010 US Figure Skating Championships - Jan 24, 2010
- Cheltzie Lee Advances In Olympics Figure Skating Championship - Feb 24, 2010
- Six-time Olympian, family duos to lead Canadian shooters at 2010 CWG - Sep 16, 2010
- Mark Ladwig Stands Eighth In Figure Skating - Feb 15, 2010
- J.R.Celski's Tattoo Grabs Many Eyeballs - Feb 21, 2010
- Kim Yu-Na Sizzles With Her Figure Skating Short Program Performance - Feb 24, 2010
- Evan Lysacek Grabs Gold In Men's Figure Skating Event - Feb 19, 2010
- Skater Rachel Flatt wins the US Figure Skating Championship ladies title - Jan 26, 2010
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
- Christina Gao and Other Asian Skaters Rise To Prominence - Jan 24, 2010
Tags: abc show, bronze medal, bronze medalist, canadian national champion, favorite song, figure skater, four continents, governing body, grand prix, heart attack, isu, joannie rochette, men at work, pen men, sanctions, television audience, thin ice, vancouver general hospital, winter olympics, world silver medalist