Jitender, Bhagwan reach quarterfinals of Asian boxingJune 8th, 2009 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) India continued their good showing in Asian elite men’s boxing championship with two more pugilists including Beijing Olympic star Jitender Kumar advancing to the quarterfinals at Zhuhai, China, according to information reaching here.
Jitender endured a tough battle and scraped through in the quarterfinal of the 54 kg category, defeating Butdee Chatchai of Thailand.
Both the boxers were tied at 4-4 points each and the countback of the judges accepted scores were also the same.
The jury chairman lifted the white flag signalling to the referee that the scores are tied and the judges must press their computer scoring button to choose the winner. In that decision, Jitender emerged the winner by a score of 4-1.
The Beijing Olympic quarterfinalist will next meet Enkhjargal Iderkhu of Mongolia.
In the 60 kg category, Jai Bhagwan outpunched Adi Sailom of Thailand 7-0. Bhagwan led 1-0 in the first round and increased it to 3-0 by the end of the second round, before wrapping it up in the final round.
The Indian will face Hu Quianxun of China in the quarter-final.
The duo joined Suranjoy Singh (51kg) and Dinesh Kumar (81 kg), who reached the quarterfinals Sunday, while Paramjit Samota (+91kg) advanced to the semifinals.
- Three more Indian boxers enter semifinals of Asian meet - Jun 10, 2009
- Asian Games boxing: Indian boxer Suranjoy moves into second round - Nov 16, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Paramjeet in semifinal, Chote Lal out - Nov 18, 2010
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Swimmer Khade wins Asiad bronze, boxer Suranjoy, shuttlers, paddlers advance (Evening Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- National boxing: Suranjoy, Dilbagh in second round - Jul 11, 2010
- Thapa in quarters, Suranjoy out of Olympic qualifiers (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- CWG Boxing: India win three gold (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2010
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender and Suranjoy in semis; Amandeep in quarters - Nov 20, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Five Indians stay in gold hunt; bronze for four - Nov 24, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Santhosh in semis, Amandeep out in quarters - Nov 22, 2010
- Eight boxers to represent Indian at Asian Championships - Jul 21, 2011
- Asian Games: Four bronzes for India on day four (Roundup) - Nov 16, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Krishan, Manpreet in semis - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: adi, beijing, boxers, boxing championship, chatchai, dinesh, elite men, jai bhagwan, jury chairman, kg, mongolia, New Delhi, olympic star, pugilists, quarterfinal, referee, score, tough battle, white flag, zhuhai china