Jindal becomes first Governor to refuse Obamas payout to statesFebruary 21st, 2009 - 5:29 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 21 (ANI): Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal has announced that he will decline stimulus money specifically targeted at expanding state unemployment insurance coverage, becoming the first state executive to officially refuse any part of the federal governments payout to states.
In a statement, Jindal, who is slated to give the Republican response to President Barack Obamas message to Congress on Tuesday, expressed concern that expanding unemployment insurance coverage would lead to increased unemployment insurance taxes later on, Politico.com reported.
The federal money in this bill will run out in less than three years for this benefit and our businesses would then be stuck paying the bill, Jindal said.
We must be careful and thoughtful as we examine all the strings attached to the funding in this package. We cannot grow government in an unsustainable way.
Jindal is one of a small group of Republican governors, which includes South Carolinas Mark Sanford and Mississippis Haley Barbour, who have said they might refuse some or all of the stimulus money targeted to their states.
In an interview Friday, Barbour said he, too, would likely decline funds for broadening access to unemployment insurance. (ANI)
- Bobby Jindal set to enjoy his big GOP moment in US Congress - Feb 23, 2009
- Schwarzenegger asks fellow governors to give aid package if they dont need it - Feb 23, 2009
- Haley Barbour: President Obama thinks voters 'stupid' - Mar 28, 2011
- Nikki Haley skips White House dinner to meet friends - Feb 28, 2012
- 'Obama is one of the greatest politician', says Mississippi Governor - Feb 28, 2011
- Republicans split over backing Nikki Haley - Jun 17, 2010
- Pawlenty becomes first GOP 2012 Presidential contender to announce intention to run - Mar 22, 2011
- New Hampshire voters prefer Romney over Obama: Poll - Apr 23, 2011
- Nikki Haley becomes first Indian-American woman governor (Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Former Pennsylvania Senator wins South Carolina straw poll - Apr 10, 2011
- Nikki Haley wins, in line to become South Carolina governor (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- South Carolina Chooses Nikki Haley As New Governor - Nov 03, 2010
- Nikki Haley, daughter of Sikh parents, is South Carolina's first woman governor (Night Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Nikki Haley wins South Carolina runoff after drama-filled race - Jun 23, 2010
- Indian-American Nikki Haley South Carolina's first woman governor (Second Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
Tags: benefit, bobby jindal, congress, federal governments, federal money, haley barbour, insurance, insurance coverage, louisiana governor, mark sanford, mississippis, republican governors, republican response, small group, south carolinas, state executive, state unemployment insurance, stimulus