Jin Jong grabs pistol shooting goldAugust 12th, 2008 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 12 (DPA) It was second time lucky for Jin Jong Oh as he claimed gold for South Korea in the Olympic pistolshooting competition at the Beijing Games Tuesday. Coming off a silver medal in 2004, Jin was luckier this timearound when he edged North Korea’s Kim Song Ju for the gold by two tenths of a point.
Jin had 660.4 points compared to Ju’s 660.2. Zan Zongliang took the bronze for China with 659.5 points.
“I was sixth going into the final. I was tense and nervous about it. It was my coach who told me to take it easy,” said Jin.
Jin called Kim “a very good athlete” and said “we are close” but neither of the two from divided Korea wanted to dwell on whether the athletes from the nations should march together at the closing ceremony.
“It is not something that will happen just because us athletes want it to happen,” said Jin.
Kim, from the Communist north, said: “I don’t believe that us athletes should discuss this” because it was a matter for the governments.
The Olympic committees from both countries agreed they should march together at the opening ceremony on Friday as they did in 2000 and 2004, but the move was blocked by the governments despite intervention from the International Olympic Committee.
- Olympic gold medallist Chen Ying picks up World Cup title - May 25, 2012
- North Korean succession is stable: South Korea, US - Dec 30, 2011
- North Korea holds military parade - Apr 15, 2012
- Kim Jong-un declared North Korea's supreme military commander - Dec 31, 2011
- 'Team America' film trend on Twitter after Kim Jong II's death - Dec 20, 2011
- China denies sending troops to North Korea - Dec 28, 2011
- No evidence North Korean leader dead: US official - Feb 11, 2012
- Asian Games: Indian shooters continue to disappoint - Nov 17, 2010
- Kim's death rocks South Korea's financial market - Dec 19, 2011
- Asian Games close with China dominant as never before (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Asian Games shooting: India's rifle shooters miss gold by a point (Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- North Korea confirms Kim Jong-un is married (Lead, changing dateline) - Jul 25, 2012
- Don't expect us to change, North Korea tells world - Dec 30, 2011
- Kim Jong-un gets married: North Korean TV - Jul 25, 2012
- North Korea confirms mystery woman is leader's wife - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: athlete, beijing, closing ceremony, coach, communist north, dpa, gold, governments, grabs, international olympic committee, jin kim, north korea, olympic committees, opening ceremony, pistol shooting, second time, silver medal, south korea, tenths, zan