Jharkhand governor misleading people on national games: BJPMay 11th, 2009 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, May 11 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Monday charged Jharkhand Governor Syed Sibte Razi, who had last week announced the infrastructure for holding the 34th National Games was ready, with misleading people.
“The governor is misleading people of the state and playing with the players’ careers. It will take at least one more year to complete the infrastructure for holding the national games,” BJP state unit chief Raghubar Das told IANS, after a party delegation headed by him inspected the infrastructure and found construction work still going at the indoor stadium, administrative building and other places.
The governor, who had said the games could be held here in November, is the ex-officio chairman of National Games Organising Committee (NGOC), which enjoys special powers including financial powers.
Despite the fact that the infrastructure is not ready and the games have been postponed, Rs.200 crore (Rs.2 billion) has been released to conduct the national games, Das said, questioning the reason for releasing such a huge amount.
The 34th National Games were scheduled to take place in Jharkhand in 2007. However, the state failed to develop the necessary infrastructure, forcing the IOA to postpone the games four times. According to experts, it will take at least six to eight months to complete the required infrastructure.