Jerry Remy take indefinite leave after recurring bouts of illness after his cancer surgeryMay 8th, 2009 - 2:36 am ICT by GD
56-year-old Jerry Remy, the color commentator for the New England Sports Network has taken indefinite leave. The Rd Sox spokesperson made this announcement on the 6th May, 2009. According to official statements Remy is recovering from a lung cancer surgery. Though he was expected to make a full recovery, Remy suffered from a fresh bout of infection and a subsequent case of pneumonia.
Remy posted his comments in one of the reports of NESN’s Web site that he wanted to “focus on completing my recovery so that I can return to work without distractions or interruptions.” In addition to this he also mentioned that he hoped “that disclosing my bout with cancer will reinforce the dangers of smoking to every member of Red Sox Nation, especially children.” Here it must be mentioned that Jerry Remy is a former smoker and has had lung cancer surgery late last year, before the Season had begun.
Jerry Remy, more popularly known as “The Remdawg,” played from 1978 to 1984 as second base for the Red Sox. In addition to this he was an All-Star selection in 1978. Due to some unfortunate knee injury Remy has to quit and retire from the game in 1986. Remy became a part of the NESN team in 1988. To replace him the network has announced that they will pitch in Dennis Eckersley for the remaining home games of the season. Dave Roberts will fill in for Jerry Remy when the team goes for West Coast road trip from May 12-17.
- Red Sox honors Jerry Remy Day - Jun 25, 2008
- Peter Gammons Signs Up With MLB And NESN - Dec 09, 2009
- Nomar Garciaparra Retires From Major League Baseball - Mar 11, 2010
- "Cake Boss" Star Remy Gonzalez Arrested For Sexual Assaults - Aug 26, 2010
- Children improve in rare disorder with own stem cells - Feb 29, 2012
- Daniel Nava Goes For A Grand Slam - Jun 13, 2010
- Beijing hospital sued after patient dies - May 29, 2012
- Dustin Moseley Takes To Field A Day Earlier - Aug 09, 2010
- Adrian Gonzalez On The Verge Of Being Traded To Boston Red Sox - Dec 05, 2010
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia Traded To Boston Red Sox - Aug 01, 2010
- Long-term lung cancer survivors' breathlessness woes - Aug 03, 2010
- Michael to return home for holidays - Dec 17, 2011
- Big B prays for Yuvraj's speedy recovery - Feb 21, 2012
- Marco Scutaro Makes Preliminary Agreement With Boston Red Sox - Dec 05, 2009
- Boston Red Sox moves to the top of the 'Al wild card chase' - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: bouts, color commentator, dangers of smoking, dennis eckersley, distractions, home games, indefinite leave, interruptions, jerry remy, knee injury, lung cancer, lung cancer surgery, new england sports, new england sports network, official statements, pneumonia, red sox nation, remdawg, road trip, smoker