Jeev wins Singapore Open golf in tight finishNovember 16th, 2008 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
Sentosa (Singapore), Nov 16 (IANS) Jeev Milkha Singh stayed calm in a nerve-wracking finish to clinch the $5 million Barclay’s Singapore Open here Sunday.Jeev showed nerves of steel as each of three major contenders missed their final putts by the narrowest of margin.
But Jeev, coming to the 18th tee with a one-shot lead, stayed one ahead as he tapped a par putt from six inches and then waited for his rivals, Padraig Harrington and Ernie Els to finish.
Both Harrington and Els narrowly missed their birdie putts, that would have sent them into a play-off with Jeev, leaving him a victor by one shot.
Jeev carded two-under 69 to finish with a total of seven-under 277 and winner of the first prize of $792,50, which confirms his second Asian Tour Order of Merit besides a whole lot of other landmarks.
Jeev becomes the first Asian Tour player to cross $One million dollars with a total of $1,405,607, the highest so far in the history of the Asian Tour. That also took him to the top of the Career earnings with a total of $2,759,191 and ahead of the erstwhile leader Thongchai Jaidee of Thailand.
The win was Jeev’s third win of the season and on a third different Tour. He won the Bank Austria Golf Open on European Tour and the Nagashima Shigeo Invitational Sega Sammy Cup earlier.
- Jeev aiming to dislodge compatriot Chowrasia from top of Asian Tour - Nov 09, 2011
- Els, Harrington hope to make up for previous miss in Singapore - Oct 28, 2009
- Chowrasia to lead Indian Challenge in Barclays Singapore Open - Nov 05, 2011
- Poulter aims to be king in Hong Kong again - Nov 30, 2011
- Colourful Poulter dusts cobwebs to win Singapore Open, Bhullar 14th - Nov 01, 2009
- Luiten wins Iskandar Johor Open golf, Kapur tied 15th - Nov 20, 2011
- Path-breaker Jeev adds another win and Merit title (Profile) - Nov 16, 2008
- Gangjee tied 5th in Singapore Open golf, Jeev shares 9th place - Nov 10, 2011
- Jeev soars to landmark win in Singapore (Lead) - Nov 16, 2008
- Jeev's fourth title in Japan, 12th in career (List of wins) - Dec 07, 2008
- Jeev stuns Harrington in opening round at WGC-Matchplay - Feb 18, 2010
- Jeev's win emphasises strength of Indian and Asian golf - Nov 17, 2008
- Another feather in Jeev Milkha Singh's cap - Nov 16, 2008
- Harrington calls Singapore Open 'Asia's Major' (Singapore Open Diary) - Oct 31, 2009
- Mickelson hopes to carry on good form into Singapore Open - Oct 27, 2009