Jeev moves to 34th in Northern Trust OpenFebruary 21st, 2009 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Pacific Palisades (California), Feb 21 (IANS) Jeev Milkha Singh dropped a bogey on the last hole to card a one-under 70 in the second round, but still made a marginal move up by two places from overnight 36th in the second round of the $6.3 million Northern Trust Open at the Riviera Country Club.
Jeev, scheduled to play six events in eight weeks, is now three-under 139 and in tied 34th place after the second round Friday.
Sweden-born Daniel Chopra, whose father is Indian, bounced back from a first round 73 to shoot a four-under 67 in the second round to make the cut in tied 52nd place at two-under 140.
Jeev started the day with a birdie on the par-five first and followed it up with a series of eight pars as he completed the front nine in one-under.
On the back nine, he birdied the par-5 11th but then failed to hole a 15-footer for par on the 15th. He quickly made up with a terrific 20-footer for a birdie on the par-5 17th, completing a hat-trick of birdies on the three par-fives around the course. But on the final hole, he left his chip short and then failed to hole a 18-footer for par for his second bogey of the day.
Chopra opened in style with a superb 295-yard tee shot on the first and his second shot landed within eight feet to give him an eagle chance, which he duly holed. He had two other birdies on the ninth and tenth, holing an eight-footer and 15-footer. On the 17th he gave himself a second eagle chance.
American Scott McCarron shot a three-under 68 to add to his first round 64 to take the lead at 10-under 132. Two other Americans Tommy Armour III (67) and Steve Stricker (66) shared the second spot at eight-under 134. Overnight leader Phil Mickelson (72) was tied fourth with six others including South Korean K.J. Choi.
- Jeev improves to tied second at Volvo China Open - Apr 22, 2011
- India's Chadha lies third at Malaysian amateur golf - May 19, 2011
- Jeev tied 44th, Atwal 59th, Chopra misses out - May 22, 2010
- Two shot lead for Arjun Sharma in North India golf - Mar 13, 2012
- Tough opening round lessons for Atwal at Augusta Masters - Apr 08, 2011
- Jeev shoots 67, lies fifth at Hong Kong Open - Nov 19, 2010
- Lahiri fires 69 to take lead - Aug 09, 2012
- Chowrasia, Sujjan one shot off the lead at Avantha Masters - Feb 19, 2011
- Jeev tied 29th despite late reverses - Mar 06, 2010
- Ladies European Golf: Sharmila tied 2nd, one behind leader - Jan 17, 2012
- Smriti takes big lead at Women's Pro Golf Tour event - Mar 29, 2012
- Atwal moves up five places in Travelers golf - Jun 27, 2010
- Randhawa shoots 66, lies 17th in Munich - Jun 26, 2010
- Golf: Sharmila ahead by two strokes - Aug 22, 2012
- Spaniard Cabrera-Bello leads; Kapur, Jeev one behind - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: birdie, birdies, bogey, daniel chopra, footer, hat trick, jeev milkha singh, k j choi, northern trust, pacific palisades california, pars, phil mickelson, play six, riviera country club, scott mccarron, south korean, steve stricker, take the lead, tommy armour, tommy armour iii