Jeev eyeing a major title and top-20 rung in world rankingDecember 14th, 2008 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 14 (IANS) India’s ace golfer Jeev Milkha Singh aims to break into top-20 international ranking in the early 2009 and to win a major title before retiring.”It seems that ‘Golfing Gods’ are very kind towards me this year as three out of four title wins came without any practice. My immediate aim is to figure into the top-20 and to have a major title under my belt before saying final goodbye to the game, for which I am still yearning,” Jeev Milkha Singh told reporters.
“I am enjoying my current form and so far in my career, this has been the best. These days I am hitting the ball really well, my timing is immaculate and my confidence level is high. I am looking to do better in the US and the European tour in 2009,” he Singh.
Recently Jeev touched a new career-high as he rose to 36th in world ranking following his win in the Golf Nippon Series JT Cup in Tokyo Dec 7. Jeev previous best was No. 37 at the end of 2006.
Displaying an amazingly strong mind, Jeev overcame a personal tragedy of losing his first child, who was delivered still-born, to win his fourth title of the season.
“Those were the toughest moments of my life but my wife, Kudrat showed immense courage. She was brave enough to send me to play despite of the biggest tragedy that struck our family. Now she is fine and recovering well, said Jeev.
Jeev will fly to Thailand Monday night where he will take part in the Volvo Masters of Asia at Bangkok, the closing tournament on the Asian Tour, where he has already wrapped up the Order of Merit with record earnings of over $1.4 million.
Taking about the game in India, Jeev said, “Golf is growing in India in a big way and is undoubtedly the future sport of India. Sponsors are also coming forward to support the game.”
He admitted that cricketers still rule the world of advertisements. “I am sure that very soon the picture will change. People have started recognizing the game and the players. I myself am endorsing a golf channel and a golf course and golf academy that will come up in Mysore in Karnataka in the next two-three years.”
Jeev’s win in 2008 are Bank Austria Golf Open on European Tour, the Nagashima Shigeo Invitational Sega Sammy Cup on Japan Tour, the Barclay’s Singapore Open in Asian Tour and the Golf Nippon Series JT Cup in Tokyo.
- Jeev's fourth title in Japan, 12th in career (List of wins) - Dec 07, 2008
- Making the PGA Tour was most satisfying, says Jeev - Nov 17, 2009
- Jeev overcomes personal tragedy, wins fourth title of the year (Lead) - Dec 07, 2008
- Brave Jeev overcomes tragedy to win year's fourth title (Round-up) - Dec 07, 2008
- Another feather in Jeev Milkha Singh's cap - Nov 16, 2008
- Gurgaon down Noida in Louis Philippe Cup - Mar 09, 2012
- Jeev dedicates Golf Nippon Series win to wife - Dec 07, 2008
- Jeev looking to end season in style at Dubai World Championships - Nov 18, 2009
- Italy's Ryder Cup star Molinari top draw at Indian Open - Sep 21, 2011
- Indians start as strong challengers in Avantha Masters - Feb 17, 2011
- Jeev dedicates honours to country and family (Lead) - Dec 21, 2008
- Jeev officially crowned Asia No. 1, ready for Majors - Dec 21, 2008
- Jeev touches a career-high World ranking of 36 - Dec 08, 2008
- Jeev moves up to tied second, two shots behind leader - Dec 05, 2009
- Shiv Kapur hopes to gain from Jeev's tips at Kensville Challenge - Jan 13, 2012