Jeev 11th in opening round of Panasonic OpenSeptember 20th, 2012 - 5:04 pm ICT by IANS
Hyogo (Japan), Sep 20 (IANS) Indian golfer Jeev Milkha Singh carded a 67 to finish 11th in the opening round of the Asia-Pacific Panasonic Open here Thursday.
Japan’s Yuta Ikeda put himself in a strong position to end a string of runner-up finishes as he shot a sensational nine-under-par 62.
Ikeda, a nine-time winner in Japan, opened up a two-shot lead over veteran golfer Hiroyuki Fujita, a two-time Asian Tour winner, Yusaku Miyazato, who finished tied 20th at the Asian Tour Qualifying School in January, Katsumasa Miyamoto, Koumei Oda and Kazuhiro Yamashita at the Higashi Hirono Golf Club.
Reigning Asian Tour Order of Merit winner Juvic Pagunsan of the Philippines and Thailand’s Chinnarat Phadungsil alongwith Jeev carded matching 67s for 11th place at the US $1.9 million event sanctioned by the Asian Tour and Japan Golf Tour.
Jeev, playing with an injured finger, was accompanied by his father Milkha Singh and wife who cheered him on over 18 holes.
“My finger hurt a bit because the rough is thick but I can manage. I’m putting a lot of balm and doing other stuff to make sure it does not swell,” added Singh, who won the Scottish Open in July.
Tetsuji Hiratsuka of Japan started his title defence with a 68 and was bunched up with Thailand’s Prom Meesawat and Prayad Marksaeng, Kieran Pratt of Australia, Berry Henson of the United States, Australian Darren Beck, Shiv Kapur of India and Rikard Karlberg of Sweden.
Leading first round scores:
62 - Yuta Ikeda (JPN)
64 - Katsumasa Miyamoto (JPN), Koumei Oda (JPN), Yusaku Miyazato (JPN), Hiroyuki Fujita (JPN), Kazuhiro Yamashita (JPN)
65 - Kim Do-hoon (752) (KOR)
66 - Tomohiro Kondo (JPN), Masamichi Uehira (JPN), Shigeru Nonaka (JPN).
67 - Hiroo Kawai (JPN), Chinnarat Pdhadungsil (THA), Ryuichi Oda (JPN), Juvic Pagunsan (PHI), KT Kim (KOR), Jeev Milkha Singh (IND), Hideto Tanihara (JPN), Toru Taniguchi (JPN), Daisuke Kataoka (JPN), Lee Seong-ho (KOR), Cameron Smoth (AUS), Shiv Kapur (IND), Hwang Jung-gon (KOR), Wu Ashun (CHN), Hidemasa Hoshino (JPN).
68 - Prom Meesawat (THA), Prayad Marksaeng (THA), Lee Dong-hwan (KOR), Kieran Pratt (AUS), Tetsuji Hiratsuka (JPN), Michio Matsumura (JPN), Berry Henson (USA), IJ Jang (KOR), Darren Beck (AUS), Tjaart van Der Walt (RSA), SK Ho (KOR), Rikard Karlberg (SWE), Yoshinobu Tsukada (JPN), Yoshikazu Haku (JPN), Chan Yih-shin (TPE).
- Hiratsuka wins Panasonic Open, Jeev shares fourth place - Sep 25, 2011
- Westwood triumphs at Thailand golf, Jeev finishes tied seventh - Dec 18, 2011
- Jeev seeks to overcome injury setback at Panasonic Open - Sep 19, 2012
- Top Indian stars look to a great start at Avantha Masters - Feb 13, 2011
- Lahiri leads pack at SAIL-SBI Open golf - Feb 23, 2012
- Chowrasia aiming for Indian Open, Merit crown - Oct 07, 2011
- Hero Indian Open: Unheralded Chiragh Kumar takes surprising lead - Oct 13, 2011
- Chowrasia maintains lead on Asian Tour Order of Merit - Sep 05, 2011
- Gangjee opens season with top-10 at Bangkok - Feb 08, 2009
- Digvijay eyes 'double' at Asia-Pacific Panasonic Open - Sep 18, 2012
Tags: asian tour qualifying school, first round scores, hideto tanihara, hiratsuka, hiroo, hyogo japan, japan golf tour, jeev milkha singh, juvic pagunsan, karlberg, kataoka, kazuhiro, masamichi, merit winner, nonaka, prom meesawat, shiv kapur, toru taniguchi, yusaku miyazato, yuta