J.B. Roy led hockey faction flexes its musclesJune 15th, 2009 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 15 (IANS) Around 25 men’s and 22 women’s state hockey units have met at Aamby Valley in a bid to form a “unified and democratic” national federation, according to the Bengal Hockey Association (BHA) that organised the conclave.
The development came a day after the K.P.S Gill led Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) joined hands with newly-formed Hockey India and claimed support of 22 states and 3 union Terroritories to initiate the process of merging the men’s and women’s units within the six-month deadline set by the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
The other faction, led by BHA president J.B.Roy and disaffiliated Indian Women’s Hockey Federation (IWHF) secretary Amrit Bose, convened a separate meeting at Aamby Valley June 13-14 after falling out with Gill over disgraced former IHF secretary K. Jothikumaran’s involvement with Hockey India.
“The meeting organized at Aamby Valley was attended by 25 men’s and 22 women’s associations which constitute over 2/3 of the entire associations and it looked as if the unified hockey’s democratic face was embodied in the gathering,” Roy and Bose said in a statement Monday.
“Various issues pertaining to the sport were discussed and unanimous resolutions were passed in the meeting.”
Roy and Bose were given the authority to hold talks with FIH, the Asian Hockey Federation and Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and to take “suitable steps including forming or merging of the new society and even court intervention, if necessary”, the statement added.
The alliance has received an invitation from IOA president Suresh Kalmadi to discuss the current situation.
“The house decided to merge the state level men’s and women’s hockey associations in the shortest possible time. This move will effectively achieve the whole objective of the FIH of unifying the state level hockey units in democratic manner, a feat that could not be achieved for the past eight years,” the statement said.
- Roy calls parallel meeting after differences with Gill - Jun 11, 2009
- Hockey India and Gill-led IHF join hands for merger - Jun 14, 2009
- IWHF says it is initiating "merger" process with IHF - Jun 12, 2010
- IWHF springs to life and questions HI's legitimacy - Jun 10, 2010
- Roy wants FIH to reconsider recognition to Hockey India - Jun 17, 2009
- Reinstated by court, Gill vows to be back in action - May 21, 2010
- Hockey India's claims meaningless, says Gill - May 23, 2010
- IHF and IWHF form joint body, to hold election in October - Aug 12, 2010
- Over 50 state hockey units to meet at Aamby Valley - Jun 12, 2009
- IHF, IWHF call special general meeting for merger - Aug 11, 2010
- HI and IHF are on collision course after court order - May 22, 2010
- Hockey India acting in undemocratic manner: Roy to Negre - Jul 28, 2009
- IHF derecognition illegal: Delhi High Court (Lead) - May 21, 2010
- FIH rejects ministry's contention, backs Hockey India - Aug 09, 2010
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: amrit, bengal, bha, bose, conclave, court intervention, current situation, democratic manner, faction, hockey association, hockey associations, ihf, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, indian women, international hockey federation, ioa, level hockey, national federation, state hockey