Jayasuriya, Dilshan power Sri Lanka to victoryJune 11th, 2009 - 12:21 am ICT by IANS
Nottingham, June 10 (IANS) Sri Lanka put up a powerful batting display that included veteran Sanath Jayasuriya’s blistering 81 from 47 balls to beat the West Indies by 15-runs in the final Group C match of the World Twenty20 here Wednesday.
Chasing Sri Lanka’s 192/5, the West Indies, playing without their skipper Chris Gayle, could manage only 177 for five in 20 overs. Dwayne Bravo top scored with 51.
Jayasuriya, who will turn 40 this month, showed no signs of ageing as he and Tillekeratne Dilshan (74 off 47 deliveries) cracked 124 from 78 deliveries for the first wicket.
Both teams have already reached the Super Eight stage.
The West Indies run chase fell apart in the absence of Gayle, who plotted the downfall of Australia but missed the match with a sore right knee.
Simmons (29) and Andre Fletcher (13) gave them a good start, scoring 38 runs off 20 balls but then wickets began falling at regular intervals.
Lasith Malinga (2-45) and Ajantha Mendis (2-25) struck crucial blows to reduce the West Indies to 4-73.
Ramnaresh Sarwan (28 not out) and Dwayne Bravo (51) led the recovery with a 77-run stand, but could not see the team through.
Earlier, Jayasuriya and Dilshan flayed the West Indies bowlers all over the park, hitting 21 fours and four sixes. Medium pacer Lendl Simmons, who reaplaced Gayle, was the only bowler to have escaped the punishment, finishing with figures of 4-19.
Jayasuriya looked in dangerous touch as he raced to his 50 in just 29 balls. Dilshan played the second fiddle.
Jayasuriya plundered 10 fours and three sixes before falling leg before to Simmons in the 13th over. Skipper Kumar Sangakkara made just 5.
But Dilshan, who was dropped by Sulieman Benn in the 12th over, cut loose as Sri Lanka was well on course to cross the 200-mark but some quick wickets threw spanner in Dilshan’s effort.
- West Indies name 30-man provisional squad for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Temperamental Benn among 30 probables for World T20 - Jul 19, 2012
- Scoreboard: South Africa vs West Indies, World Cup, Group B - Feb 24, 2011
- Jayawardene stars as Sri Lanka beat Windies by 57 runs (Lead) - May 08, 2010
- Scoreboard of West Indies innings against South Africa - Feb 24, 2011
- Fiery Roach topples Netherlands with hat-trick (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Badree gets nod ahead of Benn in Windies squad - Jun 25, 2012
- West Indies crush Ireland by 70 runs in World T20 Championship - May 01, 2010
- Rohit Sharma guides India to a comfortable win (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Australia lose to South Africa in warm-up game (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2011
- West Indies looking to cause ripples (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 12, 2011
- West Indies bring back Darren Bravo for T20 World Cup - Aug 23, 2012
- Windies will not have it easy against Netherlands (Preview) - Feb 27, 2011
- England win cliffhanger, stay in contention for quarters (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2011
- T&T; outclass Leicester to qualify for main CL T20 stage - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: ajantha, benn, chris gayle, deliveries, dilshan, downfall, final group, jayasuriya, lendl, medium pacer, mendis, ramnaresh sarwan, sanath jayasuriya, second fiddle, signs of ageing, skipper, three sixes, west indies, wicket, wickets