Jarrod Lyle leads in Australian Open golf, Woods tied eighthNovember 10th, 2011 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Nov 10 (IANS) Local golfer Jarrod Lyle led the Australian Open after firing 7-under-par 65 in Thursday’s opening round at The Lakes Golf Club here.
The 30-year-old cancer survivor, who was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia in 1999, collected five birdies and eagled the 502-metre par-5 14th to hold a one-shot advantage over Americans Dustin Johnson and Nick Watney, Xinhua reported.
“On the course it has been a really, really rough year and off the course it has been awesome, so it is kind of weird how that works,” Lyle told reporters in Sydney Thursday.
“But I am happy how the week has started. I have had a really good preparation and I can’t wait to get back out there.”
Veteran American Fred Couples, the USA’s Presidents Cup captain, along with local hopes Steven Jones, James Nitties and 1998 champion Greg Chalmers share fourth spot after carding 5-under 67s.
Tiger Woods was among a bunch of players at 4-under.
Also on day one, American John Daly stormed off the course mid-round after hitting seven balls in the lake on the 11th hole.
The tournament will be held from Nov 10 to 13.
Brief first round results — (Aus unless stated, par 72):
65: Jarrod Lyle.
66: Nick Watney (US), Dustin Johnson (US).
67: Greg Chalmers, Steven Jones, James Nitties, Fred Couples (US).
68: Tiger Woods (US), Jake Higginbottom, Matthew Millar, Woo-hyun Kim (Kor), Bubba Watson (US), Andrew Tschudin.
69: Adam Scott, Nick O’Hern, Stephen Allan, Matthew Jones, Jason Day, Rohan Blizard, Damon Welsford, David Mckendrick (US), John Cook (US), Craig Hasthorpe, Leigh Mckechnie, Paul Sheehan.
70: Rodney Pampling, Chris Gaunt, Kurt Carlson, John Senden, Anthony Summers, Ryan Haller, Craig Hancock, Geoff Ogilvy, Ronald Harvey (Can), Jason Norris, Henry Epstein, Craig Parry, Anthony Brown, Ashley Hall, Jamie Arnold, Peter O’Malley.
71: Andrew Martin, Michael Hendry (NZ), Kelly Kraft (US), Michael Wright, Terry Price, Wittawat Sae-ung (Tha), Greg Norman (US), Matthew Griffin, Luke Hickmott, Steve Collins, Scott Arnold, Geoff Drakeford, Terry Pilkadaris, Gareth Paddison (NZ), Daniel Nisbet, David Bransdon.
72: David Toms (US), Peter Cooke, Bryden Macpherson, Doug Holloway (NZ), Josh Carmichael, Wisut Artjanawat (Tha), Bill Haas (US), Steven Conran, Scott Laycock, Phil Tataurangi (NZ), Kyle Stanley (US), Tim Wood, Nick Cullen, Peter Senior, Cameron Smith, Gary Simpson, Alistair Presnell, Richard Green, Bronson La’cassie.
- Tee Times Announced, 2010 Master's: Watch Live Online! - Apr 08, 2010
- US claim seventh Presidents Cup - Nov 20, 2011
- 16 teams named for next month's U-19 cricket World Cup - Jul 12, 2012
- Indian golfer Kapur starts 'Down Under' to move up - Nov 26, 2008
- 'DAM 999' out, 'Hugo' leads Oscar nomination pack (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Atwal tied 55th at Players Golf - May 13, 2011
- Jeev enters last 16 at WGC Matchplay - Feb 19, 2010
- Players going under the IPL hammer - Jan 07, 2011
- Avantha Masters: Thailand's Prom impresses in second round - Feb 17, 2012
- Randhawa shoots 68, placed ninth at WGC-HSBC - Nov 05, 2009
- Augusta Masters 2011: McIlroy gives Schwartzel the green jacket - Apr 11, 2011
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Canizares, Whiteford take joint lead at Avantha Masters; Rai tied 4th - Feb 16, 2012
- Oscar 2010: The 82nd Annual Academy Award Winners - Mar 08, 2010
- Bopanna, Qureshi in round of 8 - Jan 05, 2011
Tags: acute myeloid leukaemia, ashley hall, bubba watson, cancer survivor, david mckendrick, geoff ogilvy, greg chalmers, james nitties, jamie arnold, jarrod lyle, kurt carlson, lakes golf club, michael hendry, nick o hern, nick watney, o malley, paul sheehan, presidents cup, rodney pampling, sydney nov