Japanese shuttler wins Russian OpenJuly 1st, 2012 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Japan’s Kazumasa Sakai won badminton’s Russian Open Sunday, denying Vladimir Malkov a second win at his home event in Vladivostok.
Kazumasa’s winning margin of 21-17, 21-17 was belied by a strong performance by the Russian No.3 and 2009 champion who led 16-15 in the first game and held Kazumasa at 15-15 in the second before two late surges from the Japanese player made the difference Saturday.
In the women’s singles, Hashimoto Yui took the title, winning a close battle with compatriot Shizuka Uchida in the first game before dominating the second to seal a 21-19, 21-12 win.
All of the doubles titles went to Russian pairs, with top seeds Vladimir Ivanov and Ivan Sozonov beating compatriots Vitaly Durkin and Alexander Nikolaenko 21-18, 21-15 in the men’s final, while Valeria Sorokina and Nina Visolova won the women’s title with a walkover.
Nikolaenko teamed up with Sorokina to win the mixed doubles, beating Durkin and Nina Vislova 21-19, 21-17.
The tournament, part of the Grand Prix circuit, has a prize fund of $50,000.
- Olympic badminton: Russia earns first medal in women's doubles - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Li Xuerui beats No.1 Wang for gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Wang retires to hand Saina badminton bronze (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic badminton: China win women's doubles gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Gutta and Diju reaches Bulgarian Open mixed doubles final - Oct 11, 2008
- Jayaram packs off World No. 9 at China Masters - Sep 12, 2012
- Saina Nehwal in semifinal of Indonesia Open - Jun 24, 2011
- Saina clinches Hong Kong Super Series title - Dec 12, 2010
- Indian shuttlers disappoint at Japan Open - Sep 20, 2011
- Saina enters Indian Open prequarters - Apr 25, 2012
- Lee Chong Wei, Yihan Wang win singles title at Malaysia Open - Jan 15, 2012
- Cherish to vie for Mumbai badminton triple crown - Aug 17, 2012
- All England Championships: Sindhu, Gurusaidutt clear first hurdle in qualifying - Mar 06, 2012
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
- Saina, Jayaram in third round of world badminton (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: badminton, compatriot, compatriots, durkin, first game, grand prix, japanese player, mixed doubles, nina, pairs, ria novosti, sakai, surges, uchida, valeria, vitaly, vladimir ivanov, vladivostok, walkover, yui