Jankovic will watch contenders jockey for her No.1 rankingJanuary 26th, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 26 (DPA) Jelena Jankovic can only watch as three possible pretenders struggle to seize her No.1 women’s tennis ranking, which will require a weekend title at the Australian Open.The Serb who holds the top spot was beaten in the fourth round by Marion Bartoli. Now, the top honour could be up for grabs if Dinara Safina, Elena Dementieva or Serena Williams claim the title.
The smiling Jankovic is not sweating during the drama, though, instead looking long-term at the start of another long season.
“I’m not really thinking about that (ranking). It doesn’t matter because it’s just the beginning of the year, and there are many more tournaments to play,” she said.
“Maybe the ranking will change, but it’s not important what you do now, it’s the whole year ahead of us. There are a lot of tournaments, a lot of battles out there. At least for me, the most important thing is how you finish, not how you begin.”
- Jankovic shrugs off ranking danger after upset loss - Jan 25, 2009
- Serena Williams tops WTA rankings - Apr 12, 2010
- Clijsters returns into WTA top 10 after Miami triumph - Apr 05, 2010
- Jankovic outlasts Lisicki, Safina cruises past Hantuchova - May 01, 2009
- Williams pair split in Doha - Oct 28, 2009
- Safina remains top of unchanged WTA rankings - Oct 05, 2009
- Serena Williams dethrones Safina atop women's rankings - Oct 12, 2009
- Safina heads unchanged women tennis rankings - Sep 28, 2009
- Serena Williams stays on top of WTA rankings - Feb 08, 2010
- WTA rankings unchanged as Serena Williams stays on top - Feb 15, 2010
- Pennetta stuns Jankovic again for Stuttgart semis berth - May 02, 2009
- Fighting Federer recovers from the depths to reach quarter-finals - Jan 25, 2009
- Safina supreme at top of WTA rankings - Jul 13, 2009
- Serena spoils Russian sweep to claw into semis - Jan 28, 2009
- Sharapova enthusiastic about dream Olympic debut - Jul 23, 2012