Jankovic now a diet expert (French Open diary)May 30th, 2009 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 30 (DPA) Jelena Jankovic, never short of an opinion, is now somewhat of an expert on dieting after shedding six kilos.
Jankovic had slightly overdone her off-season bulking-up to build muscles. But now that the svelte Serb is back to her optimum fighting weight, she is willing to dispense tips. In fact, she now has a few extra bits of nutritional information to dish out after a luncheon with Serbian president Boris Tadic at the French Open.
“Did you know if you eat fruit after the meal you get fat - but not in the morning,” said Jankovic, who revealed that the political leader gave her that jewel of knowledge. “If you eat it late in the afternoon or in the evening, it turns into fat. That’s sugar. This is something I heard for the first time.”
The number five said that she feels much better on court after losing the weight which she gained during a December programme of high-altitude training and weights in Mexico.
“I think you burn much more calories when you play a match an hour and a half than when you practice for three or four hours, because of all those nerves you have playing.”
And there is another hidden benefit of her new regime: “I’ve been eating a lot of chocolates, as well, and I kind of lost weight. So I don’t know what it is, what kind of metabolism it is.”
Sharapova happy with her comeback
Maria Sharapova believes her comeback from a shoulder injury couldn’t be better after reaching the last 16 stage of the French Open for a sixth consecutive year.
“Especially this year, I’m just thrilled to be here and sit here,” said the former number one currently ranked 102 after not playing since last August.
“Every single result, no matter how easy or tough, I learned so much from it. I’ve had really difficult matches here, and I had really exciting ones as well.”
While her game best matches up to faster courts after winning Wimbledon, the US and Australian Opens, Sharapova does not discount her chances on clay after playing the Roland Garros semi-finals two years ago.
“Even though it’s a challenge playing here, I really enjoy it. I have a lot of respect for the tournament. It has so much history and so much tradition. I certainly want to be one of the girls holding the trophy one day.”
- Sharapova happy with 2012 - Sep 08, 2012
- After French win, Sharapova eyes Wimbledon - Jun 24, 2012
- US Open: Sharapova to face Azarenka in semis (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Australian Open: Sharapova to meet Kvitova in semis - Jan 25, 2012
- Putin congratulates Sharapova on French Open victory - Jun 10, 2012
- Sharapova enthusiastic about dream Olympic debut - Jul 23, 2012
- Sharapova proud of her Russian origin - May 30, 2012
- I feared I was pregnant: Sharapova - Aug 28, 2012
- Sharapova curses final set charity against Azarenka - Sep 08, 2012
- Kvitova overpowers Sharapova to win 2001 Wimbledon title - Jul 02, 2011
- Federer throttles Mathieu to enter second week of US Open - Sep 05, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Maria Sharapova's new haircut sparks internet frenzy - Apr 18, 2012
- Sharapova wins French Open, completes career Grand Slam (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Kareena Kapoor gorges on aloo, gobhi paranthas - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: boris tadic, chocolates, fighting weight, french open, french open diary, hidden benefit, high altitude training, hour and a half, jelena jankovic, late in the afternoon, luncheon, maria sharapova, nutritional information, political leader, president boris, serb, serbian president, shoulder injury, sixth consecutive year, wimbledon