Jamaica close to 100m gold from Bolt or Powell as Gay crashesAugust 16th, 2008 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 16 (DPA) Jamaica virtually seem assured of their first Olympic gold in the 100 metres race when Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell strolled into the final and US world champion Tyson Gay crashed out at the Beijing Games Saturday. Gay, who was returning from a hamstring injury for the Olympic races, went out in the semis by placing only fifth in 10.05 seconds.
The world record holder Bolt clocked a stunning 9.85 seconds even though he eased up after some 70 metres. The former world record holder Powell won the other semi in 9.91 seconds.
Given their personal best times of 9.72 (Bolt) and 9.74 (Powell), only a major mishap could stop them from dominating the decider at later Saturday and the US not winning a medal at all.
Americans Walter Dix and Darvis Patton, Trinidad and Tobago’s Marc Burns and Richard Thompson, Churandy Martina of Dutch Antilles and the third Jamaican, Michael Frater, also made it into the final.
In other action, Kenyan world champion Janeth Jepkosgei and compatriot teenage sensation Pamela Jelimo dominated the 800m semi-finals.
Early Saturday, Russian Valeriy Borchin won the men’s 20 kilometres race walk in 1 hour 19 minutes 1 second, holding off holding off the three-time reigning world champion and 1996 Olympic gold medallist Jefferson Perez of Ecuador.
Perez trailed by 14 seconds in 1:19:15 hours. Australia’s Jared Tallent grabbed bronze in 1:19.42, leaving only fourth place for local hero Wang Hao who turned 19 on the day. The 2004 gold medallist Ivano Brugnetti of Italy had to settle for fifth.
Other finals later Saturday were the women’s shot put and the completion of the heptathlon.
- Bolt, Blake to lead Caribbean challenge - Aug 22, 2012
- Masai stuns Ethiopians in 10,000m; smiling Bolt moves on - Aug 16, 2009
- Powell issues warning to Bolt by winning in Hungary - Jul 31, 2011
- Olympics athletics: Bolt, Blake headlines semi-finalists for 100m - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Bolt, Blake break meet records in Lausanne - Aug 24, 2012
- Bolt beaten in 100m at Jamaican Olympic trials - Jun 30, 2012
- Fraser-Pryce sends warning, Blake sizzles in New York - Jun 10, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt breezes into 200m final - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic athletics: US women's quartet sets world record (Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt claims historic double with 200m gold (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Bolt cruises to 200m win but falls short of record - Jul 30, 2011
- Confident Bolt reminds fans of big day status - Aug 26, 2011
- Kenya's runner Jelimo blames tactics for poor show in London - Aug 16, 2012
- Bolt escapes unhurt in a minor car crash - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: asafa powell, brugnetti, churandy martina, compatriot, darvis patton, dutch antilles, heptathlon, jefferson perez, local hero, michael frater, olympic gold medallist, richard thompson, tallent, teenage sensation, trinidad and tobago, tyson gay, valeriy, walter dix, wang hao, world champion