Jaite appointed as Argentina’s captain for Davis CupDecember 17th, 2011 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, Dec 17 (IANS) Martin Jaite was appointed new captain of Argentina’s Davis Cup team, Argentine Tennis Association (AAT) said.
Jaite will replace Modesto “Tito” Vazquez and will occupy this position during 2012 and 2013, together with Mariano Zabaleta, as sub-captain, said the AAT in its web site.
“I am very glad. It is a dream I had since I stopped playing tennis. I am happy and I feel honored by the designation,” said the former tennis player.
Jaite said Zabaleta is “the ideal partner for this challenge,” and promised a joint work “to achieve the best results.”
Both will be presented at a press conference next Tuesday in Buenos Aires. Jaite, 47, won 12 ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) tournaments during his professional career, including Buenos Aires in 1985.
Jaite achieved his best Grand Slam ranking in 1990 when he reached 10th position. The former tennis player also organised tournaments and tennis events, including being chairman of Buenos Aires ATP in 1999.
- Messi always gives more than his best for national team: Zabaleta - Sep 01, 2011
- 'Giant' - Argentina thrilled by Del Potro's US Open win - Sep 16, 2009
- Brad Drewett new ATP chief - Dec 23, 2011
- Argentina's Chacarita stadium closed after fans riot - Mar 13, 2012
- Messi to captain strong Argentina side in Kolkata - Aug 19, 2011
- Argentina drop hockey player who featured in Falklands ad - May 09, 2012
- Somdev reaches career best 73 in singles - Mar 21, 2011
- Argentinean football player shot in carjacking - Jun 14, 2012
- Somdev, Sania climb in rankings - Aug 15, 2011
- All set for Messi magic Friday - Sep 01, 2011
- Argentina's Del Potro dreams of ATP No.1 spot - Mar 24, 2012
- Argentina to nationalize Spanish-controlled oil company - Apr 17, 2012
- Czech team nominated for Davis Cup semifinal - Sep 05, 2012
- Maradona's son to play in Argentine fourth division - Aug 17, 2012
- Alex Corretja named Spain's Davis Cup captain - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: aat, argentina, association of tennis professionals, atp, buenos aires, davis cup, davis cup team, designation, mariano zabaleta, playing tennis, professional career, s davis, tennis association, tennis events, tennis player, tito