Jadeja, Vinay Kumar, Jayawardene top draws at IPL auction (Second Lead)February 4th, 2012 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Feb 4 (IANS) Ravindra Jadeja, R. Vinay Kumar and Mahela Jayawardene became the top draws while West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell and leggie Sunil Narine were the surprise buys at the Indian Premier League (IPL) auction here Saturday.
India all-rounder Jadeja lived up to his “hot property” tag at the auction with Chennai Super Kings buying him for $2 million while fast bowler R. Vinay Kumar was snapped up by Royal Challengers Bangalore for an unexpected $1 million.
Jadeja was bought by the Super Kings in a hotly contested battle with Deccan Chargers. Jadeja, who had a base price of $100,000, was bagged in a tie-breaker between Super Kings and Chargers.
The $2 million budget cap for the auction meant the Super Kings have spent all their money on a single player and cannot participate in the auction any more.
Chargers spent $650,000 on Indian wicketkeeper Parthiv Patel, whose base price was $200,00. Chargers went aggressively after Patel, who attracted bids from Mumbai Indians, Kings XI Punjab and Rajasthan Royals.
Fast bowlers Shantakumaran Sreesanth, Rudra Pratap Singh and spinner Ramesh Powar were bought by Royals, Mumbai Indians and Kings XI respectively for $400,00, $600,000 and $1,60,000.
Amongst the Sri Lankans, captain Jayawardene, who led the terminated franchise Kochi Tuskers last year, remained the second biggest draw of the auction with Delhi Daredevils dishing out $1.4 million for the marquee player. Retired Sri Lanka spinner Muttiah Muralitharan ($200,000) was picked up by Royal Challengers for $220,000.
West Indies players were sought after too. Russell was bought by Daredevils for $450,000, nine times his base price. Daredevils secured Russell after a stiff battle against Chargers.
Extensive bidding for leggie Narine surprised many. Knight Riders coughed up $700,000 for the West Indian, who had a base price of $50,000. Mumbai Indians were the other franchise interested in him.
Speedster Mitchell Johnson, batsman Brad Hodge and left-arm spinner Brad Hogg were the three Australians who went under the hammer.
Mumbai Indians bought Johnson for his $300,000 base price. Hogg ($100,000), who made a comeback into the national Twenty20 side at 40, was purchased by Royals for $180,000. Royals also paid a handsome $475,000 for Hodge, who had a base price of $200,000.
New Zealand batsman-wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum (base price $400,000) was snapped up by Knight Riders for $900,000 and was the first player to be sold. McCullum was a part of the Knight Riders for the three years before being bought by Kochi Tuskers last year.
India’s veteran batsman V.V.S.Laxman ($400,000) and Irish all-rounder Kevin O’Brien ($50,000) did not find any takers. England fast bowler James Anderson (with a base price of $300,000) was amongst the 32 players who went unsold.
- IPL windfall for Jadeja, Vinay Kumar, Jayawardene (Roundup) - Feb 04, 2012
- Super Kings snap Jadeja for $2 m, Vinay Kumar goes for $1 m(Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Super Kings bag Jadeja for $2 m in IPL Auction - Feb 04, 2012
- List of players sold in IPL auction-5 - Feb 04, 2012
- IPL final: Chennai Super Kings primed for hat-trick (Preview) - May 26, 2012
- Sahara pullout as BCCI sponsor overshadows IPL auction - Feb 04, 2012
- Johnson a great buy, says Harbhajan - Feb 04, 2012
- Jayasuriya, Kaif, Jaffer go unsold in IPL auction - Jan 09, 2011
- Unsold IPL players to be auctioned online - Feb 04, 2012
- Nine IPL teams: Who will win? - Apr 03, 2012
- Daniel Christian attracts big IPL money (Night Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- IPL-4 auction: Lara goes unsold; Gambhir remains top grosser - Jan 08, 2011
- Christian tops list on day two of IPL auction (Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- IPL-4 auction: Gambhir top grosser; No takers for Lara, Ganguly (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- IPL auction: Christian top draw on a day of tactical bidding (Evening Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
Tags: base price, challengers, daredevils, deccan, fast bowlers, hot property, knight riders, leggie, mahela jayawardene, marquee player, narine, nine times, parthiv patel, ramesh powar, ravindra, rudra pratap singh, sri lankans, tie breaker, vinay kumar, wicketkeeper