Jadeja earns a maiden call for Sri Lanka seriesJanuary 18th, 2009 - 11:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 18 (IANS) Consistent performance in the Ranji Trophy saw Saurashtra’s Ravinder Jadeja getting a maiden call to India’s one-day side while Uttar Pradesh medium pacer Praveen Kumar also comes back in the side for the five-match series in Sri Lanka.The selectors, who met here Sunday, made just two changes in the squad that played the fourth and the fifth one-day matches against England. Jadeja and Praveen replaced Harbhajan Singh, who is out with a hamstring injury, and batsman Virat Kohli.
Jadeja was member of India’s World Cup-winning Under-19 squad and also in IPL champions Rajasthan Royals team last year. He made his case strong with his Ranji Trophy performances for Saurashtra this season.
Selectors also decided to go in with a five-prong pace attack and Irfan Pathan, whose selection ahead of R.P. Singh had caused a stir during the England series, managed to retain his place. Pathan along with Praveen, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma and Munaf Patel will bolster the pace attack.
Sreesanth, who is fit again after a prolonged side-strain problem, failed to find a place.
With injury keeping Harbhajan out of action, left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha was also lucky to retain his place. Had Harbhajan been fit, Ojha would have been replaced by Jadeja.
Rohit Sharma with his two-match winning centuries in the Ranji Trophy final for Mumbai against Uttar Pradesh impressed the selectors and retained his place.
The trip to Sri Lanka, which begins Jan 28, comprises five ODIs and a Twenty20 international. The team arrives in Colombo Jan 26.
Squad: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain/wicketkeeper), Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, Munaf Patel, Ravindra Jadeja, Praveen Kumar, Irfan Pathan, Pragyan Ojha
- Tendulkar, Zaheer back in ODI fold, Irfan retained (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Mithun replaces Praveen in Test squad for Australia tour - Dec 06, 2011
- World Cup probables announced - Dec 18, 2010
- Will Harbhajan be the 17th player for Oz tour? - Nov 25, 2011
- Sachin to play in Asia Cup, Sehwag rested (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- World Cup: Selectors to pick 15-member Indian team Monday - Jan 14, 2011
- Dravid, Irfan not among World Cup probables (Lead) - Dec 18, 2010
- Tendulkar opts out; Sehwag, Zaheer back for Lanka tour (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Selectors bite the bullet, discard Harbhajan; Saha reserve wicketkeeper (Lead) - Nov 26, 2011
- Harbhajan left out of Australia squad - Nov 26, 2011
- Gambhir to lead in T20, ODIs in absence of Dhoni (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Ishant dropped, Chawla in for ODI series against Proteas - Dec 21, 2010
- Ishant dropped, Sreesanth makes a comeback in ODI squad - Dec 02, 2009
- Tendulkar, Zaheer back in India's ODI squad since World Cup - Jan 15, 2012
- Six changes in India squad for England, Sehwag to join later - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: england series, gautam gambhir, irfan pathan, ishant sharma, medium pacer, munaf patel, ojha, pace attack, pathan zaheer, r p singh, ranji trophy, rohit sharma, sachin tendulkar, suresh raina, twenty20 international, virender sehwag, wicketkeeper, yusuf pathan, yuvraj singh, zaheer khan