Jade Olympic medals wow the worldAugust 20th, 2008 - 2:19 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug. 20 (ANI): The Olympic medals have caught the eyes of athletes and spectators from around the world.
According to The Sun, for the first time in Olympic history, the Olympic medals blend metal and jade.
The technique of inlaying jade into metal can be dated back to the Han Dynasty 2000 years ago.
In Chinese culture, jade is a symbol of class and elegance.
According to Games officials, the medals combined western and eastern elements. For example, 13 kilograms of gold and 1.3 tons of silver were sourced from Australia, and nearly seven tons of bronze was sourced from Chile. While jade were collected from west China’’s Kunlun Mountain.
The designers put a seal between the inner layer and a groove to bond metal and jade. The seal can also buffer the effect of vibration to protect the jade against impact.
Shanghai Mint was the official manufacturer of the medals. In Beijing, the jade medals have become the talk of the town. (ANI)
- Olympics: Bolt retains sprint titles, US overtakes China in medal tally (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- China, US to battle it out for top position in London - Jul 22, 2012
- Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheers - Jul 28, 2012
- Chinese imperial relics sold for $48 mn - Mar 27, 2011
- Four tonnes of ancient coins found - Dec 23, 2010
- Olympics helped Chinese give new thinking, says daily - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil first to win back-to-back medals (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Suarez hat-trick in Uruguay's Olympic warm-up win - Jul 12, 2012
- Cuba achieves historic performance in Paralympics - Sep 10, 2012
- China's largest gold coin auctioned for $1.18 mn - May 16, 2011
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- FIH announces team entries for final Olympic qualifier - Apr 18, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Group of Islamic protestors protest at Olympic Park - Aug 13, 2012