Ivanovic wins French Open on second attempt (Lead)June 7th, 2008 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, June 7 (DPA) Ana Ivanovic of Seribia claimed her first grand glam title Saturday, defeating Russia’s Dinara Safina 6-4, 6-3 to win the French Open women’s singles on her second attempt. The 20-year-old, who lost the final at Roland Garros a year ago to the now-retired Justine Henin, came good in her third final at a major and second this season after losing to Russia’s Maria Sharapova in Australia.
The Serb confirmed her rise to world number one status Monday, taking over after Sharapova held the top spot for a fortnight. The victory in one hour, 38 minutes ended a 12-match clay-court winning streak for Safina, who beat four top 10 players on her way into the biggest match of her career.
Ivanovic scrambled high into the stands at the Chatrier showcourt to hug her team in a match watched by the Serbian president.
“I have no words to describe how I feel,” said Ivanovic, who did not drop a set on her way to the title. She was presented with the trophy by four-time champion Henin.
- Ten women champions at French Open - Jun 10, 2012
- Safina stranded again as Kuznetsova wins French Open (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- First grand slam win for Ivanovic at French Open (Second lead)By Bill Scott - Jun 07, 2008
- Sharapova enthusiastic about dream Olympic debut - Jul 23, 2012
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Sodering shocks Nadal into career-first Roland Garros loss (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Kuznetsova wins second Slam as Safina loses again (Roundup) - Jun 07, 2009
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Sodering shocks Nadal into career-first Roland Garros loss (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Henin ousts Sharapova at French Open - May 30, 2010
- Lethal Nadal back on form, stunning defeat for Djokovic - Jun 03, 2010
Tags: ana ivanovic, clay court, dinara safina, dpa, fortnight, french open, glam, justine henin, maria sharapova, match, open women, paris, roland garros, russia, serb, serbian president, time champion, trophy, victory, winning streak