Ivanovic struggles in opening round of French OpenMay 24th, 2009 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 24 (DPA) Ana Ivanovic opened her title defence with a two hours struggle to overcome Italian Sara Errani 7-6 (7-3), 6-3 in the French Open here Sunday.
The eighth-seeded Serb who missed the past few weeks due to a leg injury, was made to fight by the number 44 in their first meeting.
Ivanovic needed 72 minutes to get through a torturous opening set, requiring three set points to take the match lead.
The favourite who has not made a huge impression since winning Roland Garros a year ago over Dinara Safina, the current number one, broke open the second set with breaks in the third and fifth games to eventually sprint to victory.
But there was still a detour as Errani broke while Ivanovic was serving for the win, the seed’s seventh double-faults setting up two break points.
The Italian converted on the second but finally went down a game later after salvaging two match points before Ivanovic fired an overhead winner into the corner.
In other early results on the fourth year of Sunday starts, China’s Li Na advanced over Marta Domachowska of Poland 6-4, 6-2 while Swiss Timea Bacsinszky staged a fightback for the first French defeat of the fortnight over Emilie Loit 4-6, 6-4, 6-1.
- Roundup: Berdych stuns Federer out of US Open - Sep 06, 2012
- US Open: Radwanska ousted by Vinci - Sep 04, 2012
- Wimbledon: Errani thrashed by record-breaker Shvedova - Jun 30, 2012
- US Open: Errani-Vinci win women's doubles title - Sep 10, 2012
- Errani beats Stosur to reach French Open final - Jun 07, 2012
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- US Open: Sharapova to face Azarenka in semis (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Indian Wells: Sania-Vesnina in quarters - Mar 12, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Prerna, Ankita only Indians to advance to quarterfinals - May 11, 2011
- Sharapova wins French Open, completes career Grand Slam (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: ana ivanovic, break points, dinara safina, double faults, emilie, fifth games, fightback, fortnight, fourth year, french defeat, french open, french open paris, leg injury, marta domachowska, match points, number 44, sara errani, serb, timea bacsinszky, title defence