It’s only a matter of time for Andrew: TrottJuly 17th, 2011 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 17 (IANS) England batsman Jonathan Trott has backed his captain Andrew Strauss and hoped that the opening batsman would come good in the four-match Test series against India starting at Lord’s Thursday.
Trott said that no one should doubt Strauss’ ability. The England captain had a woeful series against Sri Lanka, scoring just 27 runs in the 1-0 series win.
“I thought people would have learned from when everyone was talking about Alastair Cook! It’s only a matter of time for Andy. He’s been working really hard with Graham Gooch, coming to the one-dayers and working hard in between, before and after games,” Trott was quoted as saying by The Mirror.
“He’s really committed and as a team we respect Andy so much, as a captain and a batsman.”
Trott, whose batting average of 62.23 places him second to only the great Donald Bradman in Test history, is also looking to score a third century at Lord’s. Last summer he scored 226 against Bangladesh and then struck 184 to rescue England against Pakistan at Lord’s, which will hosting the 100th Test between India and England and the 2000th Test of the game.
“It’s great to walk in there and see your name on the honours board. It always give you extra confidence,” he said.
- Gooch to be England's full-time batting coach - Sep 06, 2011
- Trott named England cricketer of the year - Jun 01, 2011
- Gooch backs Strauss to lead from the front - Jul 19, 2011
- Broad retains his place, Bresnan recalled in England squad - Jul 17, 2011
- India to bowl against England in first Test - Jul 21, 2011
- England captain Strauss retires from professional cricket - Aug 29, 2012
- Injured Zaheer could miss most of the England series - Jul 22, 2011
- England's top order batting is the key: Willis - Aug 23, 2011
- England well placed to be World No.1 side: Strauss - Jul 27, 2011
- Strauss, Cook, Flower get Queen's Birthday Honours - Jun 11, 2011
- England top six batsmen have underperformed: Flower - Nov 10, 2010
- England might test Tendulkar with short balls: Vaughan - Jul 13, 2011
- Flower backs out-of-sorts Strauss on eve of squad announcement - May 13, 2012
- Trott survives to score half-century, England 127/2 (Tea report) - Jul 21, 2011
- England have worked very hard for the No.1 spot: Strauss - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: andrew strauss, bangladesh, batting average, confidence, donald bradman, england batsman, england captain, graham gooch, honours board, India, jonathan, july 17, match, matter of time, mirror, pakistan, sri lanka, test history, test series, trott