ITBP’s Kalpana creates history with a bronze medal in Judo World CupSeptember 26th, 2010 - 10:32 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep.26 (ANI): Kalpana Devi of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) has created history by winning bronze medal in the World Cup (women) Judo-2010 by defeating Nazaraova Shokhida of Uzbekistan in Tashkent.
The sporting event was a world ranking and Olympic qualifying event, held between Sept. 25th to 26.
With her win, Kalpana Devi became the first Indian woman judoka to win a medal in World Cup, said an official release of the Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) on Sunday.
The latest win is bound to give Kalpana a high jump in her world judo ranking that positioned her on 93rd position on September 15, 2010.
With her win Kalpna has made her strong stake for coming Olympic games in London.
She was the only woman judoka who qualified for this Women Judo World Cup from India.
There were a total of 103 judokas competing in this event. Only 17 countries from all over world could qualify for this championship.
Among the competing countries were sporting heavyweights like USA, Russia, Japan, Israel, South Korea, Spain, Ukraine, Vietnam etc.
She won Gold medal in Commonwealth Judo Championship at Singapore earlier this year.(ANI)
- Small town girl looks to achieve big in London (With Image) - Jul 11, 2012
- Chinese judokas set sight on heavyweight classes - Jul 09, 2012
- Judoka Garima aims to strike in rich in London - Jun 28, 2012
- ITBP Judokas call on Chidambaram - Jan 14, 2010
- India's sole judoka out of Olympics - Jul 31, 2012
- Japan aims for top five finish at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Kalpana to lead Indian judo squad in Asiad - Oct 23, 2010
- ITBP personnel win gold medals in Commonwealth judo - Jan 13, 2010
- Women archers look for Olympic medal, men a berth - Apr 09, 2012
- Archers, badminton players exude confidence at send-off - Jul 15, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Sports minister gives away cash awards to 158 athletes - May 10, 2012
- Olympics: India's archers primed for glory (Preview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Brazil hope to end Olympic judo medal drought in London - May 02, 2012
Tags: border police, bronze medal, gold medal, heavyweights, high jump, indian woman, indo, itbp, judo championship, judo world, judokas, kalpana, New Delhi, olympic games, south korea, tashkent, tibetan border, usa russia, world cup, world judo