Italian handball player commits suicideJune 4th, 2012 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, June 4 (IANS) A player of the Italian national handball team, Alessio Bisori, died Sunday and is thought to have committed suicide.
The 24-year-old was found dead under a train leaving from Bologna station in northern Italy, after lying on the railway track with “clear intention of suicide”, the police said.
“We were called at about 00.50 in the night to intervene, but there was nothing to do for the young man,” railway police officer Sandro Giuliano told Xinhua.
“Bisori had left slips of paper in the hotel where he was staying in Bologna, apologizing to his family for the decision. Thus the nature of his act was pretty clear,” he added.
Some witnesses reportedly saw the young player lying on the railway as the train was about to leave.
“I cannot live anymore,” the player was reported by local media to have written in the message addressed to his family.
Bisori was to reach Fasano, a town in southern Italy where the national team was to meet for a qualifying tournament for the 2014 European championship.
Bisori’s death was mourned by the Italian handball community, which called for a minute of silence in all upcoming handball sporting events.
“The Italian handball has lost one of its youngest talents, and one strong point of the Italian national team,” the Italian handball federation (FIGH) said in a statement.
- Brazil select 22 players for Olympic football squad - Jul 06, 2012
- Euro 2012: Police raid casts shadow on Italian team's fate - Jun 03, 2012
- Suarez, Cavani in Uruguay Olympic team - Jul 10, 2012
- Ronaldinho out of Brazil squad - May 12, 2012
- Juventus back on top of Serie A with win over Cesena - Dec 05, 2011
- Bickering and fit of nerves sour Italian football - Dec 09, 2009
- Guardiola quits Barca, deputy Tito to take over (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Udinese top Serie A as Milan held by Bologna - Dec 12, 2011
- Romanian muscle boy, 5, woos Guinness judges with hand stunt! - Oct 24, 2009
- A community effort to curb suicides in Mumbai - Dec 19, 2011
- Euro 2012 Group C Preview: Ireland may decide who survive - Jun 05, 2012
- Men's hockey Olympic qualifier: Italy blank Singapore - Feb 24, 2012
- Bologna beat Cagliari to move clear of relegation - Apr 13, 2012
- Customs release restored print of Uday Shankar's 'Kalpana' - Jul 30, 2012
- Maradona wants to settle tax case, return to Italy - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: alessio, committed suicide, figh, handball federation, handball player, handball team, italian national team, local media, lost one, minute of silence, northern italy, police officer, railway police, railway track, sandro giuliano, slips of paper, southern italy, sporting events, strong point, xinhua