It will now be known as Hockey IndiaJuly 18th, 2008 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 18 (IANS) The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and the International Hockey Federation (FIH) Friday recognised the Indian Hockey Confederation (IHC) as the sole governing body of the sport in the country. In future it will be known as Hockey India. The IHC will get the official stamp of the IOA in its general body meeting in November. It will now represent both the men and the women and from now on the Indian Women’s Hockey Federation (IWHF) will cease to exist. The Indian Hockey Federation (IHF), which was the men’s body, was dissolved in April by the IOA following a bribery scandal involving its general secretary K. Jyothikumaran.
The IOA appointed ad-hoc committee is now in charge of the men’s sport. And the committee is headed by IOA president Suresh Kalmadi. The announced of IHC’s recognition was jointly made by Kalmadi and FIH president Els van Breda Vriesman.
“We will recognise the IHC and will extend all kind of support to them. This is a new beginning for Indian hockey,” Vriesman told reporters here.
She also said that the FIH has decided to reinstate the 2010 World Cup to New Delhi, following the installation of the new body. The FIH had earlier threatened to take back the World Cup if the IOA failed to clean up the mess in the IHF.
Vriesman also said that the role of Australian Ric Charlesworth as the technical advisor of Indian hockey is over.
“He has contributed a lot in his role as the technical advisor of Indian hockey. Charlesworth has submitted his report and his role is over. We are very happy with what he did and he has tendered his resignation and it has been accepted by the Sports Authority of India,” she said.
Vriesman also said that Project Promoting Indian Hockey will continue and if the ad-hoc committee wanted any advice the world body will provide it.
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- Sports ministry to evaluate HI-IHF power sharing formula - Aug 04, 2011
- Hockey India's claims meaningless, says Gill - May 23, 2010
- HI to act tough on Bhopal nationals' participants - Jul 04, 2010
- IHF and IWHF form joint body, to hold election in October - Aug 12, 2010
- FIH rejects HI-IHF unification (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- KPS Gill holds AGM of superseded IHF - Apr 25, 2010
- FIH frowns at HI-IHF unification, pulls tournaments out of India - Jul 29, 2011
- FIH decision unfortunate,uncalled for: IOA - Sep 06, 2011
- Hockey India, the new governing body of the sport (Lead) - Jul 18, 2008
- IOA convenes HI-IHF meeting to address issues raised by FIH - Sep 30, 2011
- Gill vows to fight back after High Court quashes IOC order - May 21, 2010
- IOA president criticises FIH for taking away Champions Trophy from India - Sep 13, 2011
- FIH rejects ministry's contention, backs Hockey India - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: bribery scandal, confederation, els, fih, general secretary, hoc committee, ihf, india hyderabad, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, indian women, international hockey federation, ioa, resignation, ric charlesworth, sole governing body, sports authority, suresh kalmadi, van breda, world cup